• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod blanks

Without question the best place to get St. Croix blanks at a steep discount is to attend the Custom Rod Builders Guild North Central Regional gathering at the St. Croix factory in Park Falls, WI. This year it's being held on Aug. 13 - 15.

They have many blanks available at great prices. Last summer I purchased a 4 wt. SCV fly rod blank for $30.

While that doesn't help you right now it is something to consider this coming summer.

St Croix has a pricing policy that makes their distributors sell at MSRP or risk loosing the business. There are times throughout the year that they will be on clearance like at of model year and they need to liquidate the inventory before the new ones hit the door. They could be as much as or more then 25% off. If you don't believe that someone could loose the privileged of selling them look at Reed's. They had St. Croix rods at one time, St. Croix stopped in saw the pricing and bought everyone back and they have not sold any since.

Chad is right about the pricing at the regional meeting in Park Falls. I bought a 9' 2-piece musky blank for $30. Now you have to remember these are not first run blanks as I understand it and there is no warranty. You really don't know what is wrong with them, but my impression is St. Croix wouldn't want to make the custom rod builders upset with inferior products so I think the rods are structurally sound, but there could be some cosmetic flaws.