• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Over the garage door hanging shelves

fishin magician

I've done them in a few of my garages. I have never had super high ceilings, so it was just one shelf. I didn't buy any name brand anything. I used wire shelving from the home imp. store and flipped it upside down. I wanted to have a lip on the front so stuff couldn't vibrate off the front of the shelf. On some I've hung the front with steel cable, but lately have been using chain going up to an eye bolt I put in the ceiling (to the bottom cord of the rafter. Nothing heavy gets put on them. Stuff like camp grills, snowmobile helmets, tents, sleeping bags, etc.

I just built mine in the same location (above garage doors) a few weeks ago out of 2x4's with OSB on top, 24" deep. Since I didn't want the weight tied into the ceiling I used a chain at a 45* angle (multiple locations) and tied into the header. Both ends are also secured to a wall. It is pretty sturdy, but I don't plan on putting really heavy items up there.