• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

January Drillin'

1/16/15 Got out around 2 today. Fog and overcast made my decision to target walleyes that much easier. A lot of smaller fish but aggressive. 18'-24' was most successful. Didn't have pressure ridges where we were, but I could see one driving on the west side of six mile and all I can say is wow. It's about 3'-4' tall and goes for a few miles from what I could tell. If traveling pre or post light use extreme caution!

1/23 - 1/25 Report

Where have the big walleyes gone? A lot of 11-13" walleyes caught this weekend and only a handful of eaters. A few jumbos in the mix. Targeted structure: rocks and sand in 21-29'. Fished 8-20' as well, same story. Fished deeper, 30'-40', small perch. Caught a lot of fish this weekend, just not what we were after.

Has anyone else been out?

I fished Devils and Stump Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. We fished hard with poor results. We did find some perch on stump, but mostly small with a few good ones mixed in. We found a few perch in east bay and BTB that were really nice, but we drilled a lot of holes and moved a lot. Perch were extremely picky most were caught on small tungsten jigs with spikes. We got few eyes in Doc Hagens, but they were also pretty negative as well. The ice is good, but there are a lot of pressure ridges restricting travel.

I did very good on devils this last weekend. Actually its always good. A bad day is limits of walleyes. A good day is limits of walleyes and some of those monster perch. An awesome day, well just go find out! Lots of water and hardly any pressure! After living in Mn the last 8 years I forgot how great ND is.

You should see some of the walleyes that people keep out there.... There really should be a slot out there IMO.

A slot would be nice. I'd like to see a 1 fish over 20 year round situation, but I'm sure that will never happen.

I would at least like to see something done in the spring in our state. I don't know why we couldn't go 4/1 to 5/15 everything 18 to 28 must be released and 1 over 28. I don't want to see the season closed, but it would be nice to cut down on the 5-8 lb fish idiots keep to eat this time of year.

I would not drive 5 and half hours to fish a slot lake, maybe drop the limit, say to 3 a day with 6 possession, but a slot would dry up a lot of the year round tourism.....

And that there is the issue my friend.. This would probably cause even more 20"+ fish being kept. An angler can't keep as many, so they would just keep larger fish to compensate. Just like northerns. I realize what how much a northern eats, but let the trophy fish swim and keep the under 30"ers. I don't think a slot would hurt Devils at all. I'd say almost everybody who travels to Devils is there for perch, then walleyes, then northerns.

Not taking a personal stab at you, I am simply referring to the average visitor. Take a look on numerous guide websites and you'll be shocked at the size of fish they're keeping..

I'm just drillin'....

I would not drive 5 and half hours to fish a slot lake, maybe drop the limit, say to 3 a day with 6 possession, but a slot would dry up a lot of the year round tourism.....

So if you can't keep multiple big fish you don't want to come to Devils? I suggested just changing to 1 over 20 inches. I can't imagine how 5 walleyes aren't enough for a person. I just get sick of watching the slobs in the spring take limits of big eyes from Devils and rivers.