• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mule Deer Trip?

Siwulat

Taking a page from frogtosser's book here.

I'm planning a trip to western SD to chase muleys this fall. Being relatively new to the Twin Cities, I don't have anyone to go with. I am going regardless, but want to ask if anyone is interested.

Archery tags are sort of OTC, in that there is no draw, but you still need to submit an application. I believe that opens in June, so there's plenty of time here. Let me know if your interested, I would be happy to have a partner or group.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frogtosser - the season opens in late September and I have a wedding to attend on 10/3 in Michigan (who has a wedding then?!?!). So that being said, I am probably going to go the week after. Exact dates TBD and flexible.

Minky - I believe archery tags cost $286.

The price of the tag is reasonable.

The general time frame looks do able.

What area are you interested in hunting?

I would guess we would be looking at hunting public land?

Many nice bucks have been taken on public land, I just think a person would have to hunt harder and smarter!

Yep I'm a public land guy. I have been looking at the short pine hills area but would be up for anything. I have the BLM maps for the NW corner of the state. From the ND border down to the black hills.

I should also note that I've never hunted SD before so I am by no means an expert or a shot caller. I would like to plan it together with whoever is interested.

I have been following along reading your thread. Would you guys have room for another? I may be interested in going along. Do you guys know if there are muleys by Mobridge? I may have access to 10-11000 acres of private land that has a lot of deer just not sure if they are muleys, I'm thinking whitetail but not sure.

Frogtosser- I am not sure, but according to the SD GFP HSOforum there is a pretty solid density of pronghorn in the area just north of the Black Hills. It looks like an archery antelope license is $286 and is similar to the deer license, in that you simply send in the app and get the license; no draw. That being said, I have absolutely no idea of the pronghorn numbers or sizes in that area.

SwivelDigger- If you are interested I think we have room. The Missouri River is kind of the geographical "east/west" divider. I thought I remembered seeing a WT vs MD distribution map on the SD GFP HSOforum but I could be wrong. I have to believe that there would be opportunities for MD near Mobridge, but again I am just guessing.

I see that creep solved the Mobridge question...right after I hit submit grin

I would really like to go along on this, but if I burn my SD tag in early October I have no idea what I would do the rest of the fall. I was thinking about a muley/antelope trip to NW Nebraska for this very reason but paying for NR tags to hunt species I could in my home state is something I am struggling with. Decisions suck.

Thanks DonBo. Any idea of the relative size? Do the goats like to venture onto public land? Experiences?

Sorry, no real info there. Just see them by the hundreds on the way through to Montana.

I'm a little confused about that bow hunter Ed certificate. If I've bought archery licenses in other states (so not a first time big game hunter) and passed hunter safety, is it required? I'll probably get it anyways just to have. Just curious.

At this point I think we are looking at leaving the second weekend in October, which I believe is 10/10. I'm flexible, but my only stipulation is that darn wedding I have the weekend of 10/3.

It sounds like we've got Frog, Minky, and myself that are reasonably committed to this hunt. If anyone else is interested feel free to jump in here. I think it would be great if we could all get together at some point to get to know each other and start to narrow down the area. Personally, I think it would be very helpful to have an idea what experience and expectations, hunting or otherwise, each individual has so that we can plan accordingly.

Let us know what your thinking.