• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS info

AaronM

Question

I'm looking to buy a new GPS unit. So far I've decided on the Garmin GPS 72 because I think it has the most for the least price. (am I right or wrong?) Is there anywhere on the internet where you can buy your GPS for a cheaper price? $160 is the lowest I've found. Thanks for any help.

FF

FF-
I have been researching GPS units for a while and have decided on the 72 also. I think it's the best unit under $200. Large screen, WAAS enabled, fairly easy navigation. I haven't actually purchased it yet, as I'm still saving up but I've played with a lot of them in stores.
You won't find them for less, as the mfg has a minimum price retailers can sell it for.

I too have been looking at GPS units. I think I am going to go with the Garmin 76. You can find them with WAAS on hsolist for around $180. The problem I am faced with is do I spend $100 more for the 8 mb instead of the basic 1 mb. What are your thoughts on that? Do I need that many mb on my unit? I do plan on buying the lakes software to download onto the unit. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks.

------------------
Clueless - -

I was thinking of puchasing the etrex venture. Does the 76 and 72 have a lot more features other than the mb of memory?
I am also planning to buy the lakemaster package of 250 lakes and maybe a couple of the custom lake maps offered on this site.
Do I need to go for one of these other units or will the etrex be enough?
Thanks, Dave

I don't know much about the units, but Garmin 72 or 76 have been discussed and recomended several times. The 72 abd 76 basic units have 1 mb of memory. The GPS map 76 marine has 8 mb, and you can go as far as the GPS map 76S with 24 mb. I too am planning on uploading a good number of lakes and hot spots. I don't think one mb is going to be enough for the lakes I want to store. The other info I have gathered is to make sure the unit has WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) as it is quite accurate.

I would like to hear from folks who have used them for a while to see what they like or dislike.

------------------
Clueless - -

Don't get confused on the map software. You cannot download lakemaps of Lakemaster only waypoints. The Hot Spot maps are the only ones you can download into Garmin units. And those can only be downloaded into mapping units. The Garmin GPS 76 is a plotter only unit. The 1mb of memory can only be used for Points of interest (a totally different cd). You have to go up to the GPS map76 to download maps.

FF,

Yeah the Garmin 76 is a good unit. I don't have one but I know many who do and they love'em. As for the price. Do you homework. GPS's are NOT map priced in the area retail stores. By shopping around you can save yourself between $10-$30 depending on the model. It's funny because a company like Vexilar is suppose to be MAP priced and what ends up happening? Sportsman Warehouse had them for cheaper, there by breaking the rule...Gander Mountain Calls them on it but does not match their price, Fleet Farm Matches to stay competitive, as does Scheels Sports. Vexilar does nothing about it...hum.
Anyways Good Luck...

Chev

take a look at the lowrance global map 100. It is a mapping unit and is very handy for on the water. I like it because it shows pretty much everylake than one can think of. By showing the lake you know where the shoreline is so if you get lost you can head for the shoreline on you GPS. I think that they are the best handheld unit. I did alot of shopping around before I got one and looked at the Garmins and Magellens but they just didn't compare to with the lowrance unit could do.

gclemens,

It's an excellent unit for a good price. I like it a lot despite the fact that it's not the one I currenlty own.
For those looking at getting a gps- check one out with mapping before you decide "you'll never need mapping". I thought I'd "never need it", and tried it once. I'll never go back.
Scoot

Sporttrak pro has mapping and has 32 megs of memory. Great machine!

Sorry to mislead about the 76. I though you were refering to the Garmin 76 map.

IMO mapping is one of the nicest features you'll ever see, and well worth the money.

I agree with Scoot. I know of about a dozen buddies who own the Sport Track Pro now and all seem to really like it. I own the Magellan Map330 and just can't force myself to upgrade since there wasn't a lot of new features and it works for me.

Ok, the more I look into different units, the more overwhelmed I become! I was just looking at the Magellan Sportrack pros and like them as well. I especially like the large memory for lots of maps. It is also cheaper than the garmin gps map 76.

Darnit - what should I buy???

------------------
Clueless - -

Jiggingmachine: On the LOW forum, it felt as if you were looking for simplicity and some way to easily learn the machine. Was my assumption correct? Nothing can be easier than the E-Trex yellow, and there is no easier way to learn the operation of said machine than to sit down and watch a video. The units being discussed in this thread are a bit more sophisticated, and require the up-loading of software from CD-rom's, and have a lot more features I assumed (possibly incorrectly) you did not want or need.
If you are anywhere near the south or east end of the Twin cities, P.M. me, perhaps I can give you some demonstrations.

Another question, can a unit like the Etrex or 72 download coordinates off the computer? I have garmins hot spot maps and I know the software can, but are there any units out there without mapping capibilities that can download just coordinates? Also has anyone used the Standard Horizon Magnum NAV-40 GPS? Thanks.

FF