• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cracked nail...tips?

herm

My lab cracked a nail yesterday. Never had that happen. Here's what I've done: stopped minor bleeding, trimmed, applied neosporin, wrapped and socked it. Removed that today to check/clean. So what should I do next? Keep it wrapped? Some folks say apply superglue. ??? Go to vet?

Just looking for advice. She seems pretty unfazed by it all. Only time she cringed was cleanup/trim.

Also, what should I expect the nail to do from here?

Advice welcome!

Thanks in advance!

My springers have broken many, one night before pheasant opener, the nail was gone, looked like the inside of a crab leg with no shell. He hunted all weekend with no issues,although running through the grass with an exposed nerve couldn't of felt good. Dog will keep it clean, just watch so it doesn't get infected. Winter is better, not much dirt now. Nail will grow back just fine, few months.

My dog has crack a lot of nails over the years. If the cracked part is hanging on I'll trim as best I can and then I may put some neosporin on it but the dog tends to lick that off. The dog will usually keep it fairly clean on his own.

Other than that there really isn't much you need to do. It will be fine in a couple of days and be regrown entirely fairly quickly.

Best course of action is to keep the nails ground down to prevent cracking in the first place. I usually try to do it every 4-6 weeks. If I forget and they get too long then thats when I usually see him crack a nail. I also tend to see it more in the winter because I think he's using his nails for traction more.