• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many holes in a 12' x 6' wheel house? How many windows?

JoeMX1825

I'm looking at building a 12' long, 6.5' wide with 3' V Front house with no furniture other than the V front having full cabinets (I don't plan on sleeping overnight) I plan on using in-floor swivel seat plug-in mounts for seats throughout the house next to holes (That way I can remove seats when less people are fishing)

I want at least 1 dedicated camera hole (I'm thinking along the middle of either side so I can pan back & forth?), so what's the best fishing hole layout? (I'll setup removeable rattle reel mounts for every hole)

Also do you go with 2 side windows or put another window along the back wall?

I have a 6.5x14 with the hole configuration setup like a pool table except middle holes are staggered little bit. In clear water I can see lures from any hole I drop camera down. Personally wouldnt create a hazard in the middle of the house. I have two sliding glass tinted windows with heavy duty shades (each side, not front or back). I wish the windows were lower so I could see out of the house while sitting down. I also wish I had a window in the back of the house. After 5 years I cut a roof vent into the top rear of the house for increased air flow.

Have fun & good luck!

I have a house the exact same size and I have 6 holes in it. I could easily add a 7th up in the "V" if I wanted one more as I only have a cabinet in half of the "V". Hole placement options will depend a lot on your frame and were the axle, door and heater is located. Because I have a wall mounted Empire heater and the door on the same side as the heater I only have 2 holes on that side of the house. The other four holes run along the other side. I do have a bunk bed set up across the back wall. I really couldn't have added more holes without the bunks but the rear holes would be a little farther apart.

Possibilities are endless with the open floor plan

This^^^^

Five or six holes should get you enough configurations depending on who is fishing where along with the camera.

Another idea (which I have yet to do, but will soon), have an extra hole or two up by the vee. One for a fresh water supply (for dishes, dog water etc) and another hole cover (without drilling an ice hole) to use as a space saving cooler under the shack. They can stay covered when not in use.

As for windows, I would have at least two, and maybe a third on the back wall. Don't go crazy with the size or numbers though, because as nice as windows are, they also make the shack less energy efficient.

As mentioned, keep them a little low so you can monitor tip ups etc.

I have 7 holes in a 6.5x16' clear open floor and it is enough. I wouldn't put a hole in front of the door. You can fish 4 with one person fishing only 1 hole its a maze if you want to get from the back to the front. In a 12' you'll be lucky to get 5 "fishable" holes unless you want holes touching each other, frame cross members and axle really dictates your hole spacing. I don't like sitting on someone else's lap all day and fishing two holes that are basically touching.

I appreciate the responses, do you put sets of 2 holes right next to each other (1 for your line, the other for sonar) or just do single holes placed far enough apart that it doesn't interfere with others fishing?

In a 12' you'll be lucky to get 5 "fishable" holes unless you want holes touching each other, frame cross members and axle really dictates your hole spacing. I don't like sitting on someone else's lap all day and fishing two holes that are basically touching.
Good points, I didn't think of the framing crossbars

Here's a drawing of how I laid my 6.5x12 out (pretty close anyways). I have a fairly open floor plan (double doors in back for wheeler), but the back two holes are covered up when I have the bunks in place for sleeping.

12fttrailer2.jpg

I run the transducers in the holes I'm fishing.

Here's a drawing of how I laid my 6.5x12 out (pretty close anyways). I have a fairly open floor plan (double doors in back for wheeler), but the back two holes are covered up when I have the bunks in place for sleeping.

12fttrailer2.jpg

I run the transducers in the holes I'm fishing.

I like it, fisherman hooksets will never interfere with one another in that layout.

Here is our hole layout, not saying its optimal by any means but between cross members and axle and not wanting a hole in front of the door. Fishes three pretty nice and every one kinda gets a window. House is 6.5x16'

7C3892E1-262E-48C9-9CA2-FFEE48A6F2D9_zps

D26D37D4-60A6-44E6-AF6D-A119C7821100_zps