• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reopening Holes with an Ion

holmsvc

My buddy is having problems reopening holes in his ice castle with his 8 inch Ion. They are partially froze holes from the previous day sometimes and a few times they have been froze all the way. The auger is getting stuck on the way down. Anyone else running into this issue?

So what is the best auger for reopening holes in a wheelhouse?

I knew my Jiffy STX wasn't going to be a good auger for the wheelhouse but never imagined it would be as bad as it is. It's ok when setting up a new spot when you can drill before setting down. When reopening a hole it is horrible. You can turn it slow enough to avoid bringing water up the fluting and still be effective opening the hole. From now on until I get a new auger I will be cranking up to reopen.

Seriously thinking about the Ion but I don't want the hassle of getting it stuck on reopening partially frozen holes. Does the new reverse help with freeing it up when you get stuck? Thanks.

I reopened holes that were getting narrow over the weekend with my 10'" and it worked just fine, might have stuck for a second but backed it up by using the reverse, although I could have got it out without it. I've drilled old holes that were completely froze over with the 8" and it worked great too.