• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014/2015 Ice House Build

trav102

Still not convinced on the spray foam vs foam board rather than the "easiness" of having it spray foamed. It was a pain installing the board, but it is rock solid and let me tell ya after putting in there is no way it was coming out unless it was in pieces it's in there so tight! For a fish house between the glued on siding, insulation and the interior pine tongue and groove I think it will be insulated just fine for a fish house.

The fuses are definitely a must! I have, or rather am installing a power center/converter/charger box with all the fuses and such in them. Don't want it to burn down because of a short!

Been working hard on the house the last few days. Need to have finished, or at least finished enough for my maiden fishing trip this coming weekend.

Insulation and wiring have been completely finished.

Installed an exterior speaker and finished all the exterior lights. All LED trailer lights and 5 LED "porch lights" a few wired for tip ups and the others are shining on the wheel cranks and propane tanks.

Took the house on its first road trip to a buddies house to weld on the tongue jack, pulled great!

Have installed all the pine tongue and groove on the walls and ceiling. Went with top notch Grade 2 pine, cost a bit more but for sure worth it. For the interior trim I went with the "Kiwi wood" from New Zealand, Otherwise known as select wood from the "save big money" store.

Also started on the cabinets, was originally thinking of distressed cabinets to stand out but thought that may look "off" with the natural knotty pine, so I am just going with pine cabinets.

Interior is now sealed, sanding tomorrow morning varnished before the afternoon. Then onto electrical and should be "usable" by the weekend!

full-49504-52935-asdf.jpg

full-49504-52936-klj.jpg

full-49504-52937-;lkfd.jpg

full-49504-52938-owienc.jpg

full-49504-52939-piwemf.jpg

Still not convinced on the spray foam vs foam board rather than the "easiness" of having it spray foamed. It was a pain installing the board, but it is rock solid and let me tell ya after putting in there is no way it was coming out unless it was in pieces it's in there so tight! For a fish house between the glued on siding, insulation and the interior pine tongue and groove I think it will be insulated just fine for a fish house.

The fuses are definitely a must! I have, or rather am installing a power center/converter/charger box with all the fuses and such in them. Don't want it to burn down because of a short!

I'll agree with you on spray foam being way easier, but there are several other advantages, and no drawbacks. There is virtually zero cost difference, as I've illustrated in a few posts.

House is looking really good!

Quote:

I'll agree with you on spray foam being way easier, but there are several other advantages, and no drawbacks. There is virtually zero cost difference, as I've illustrated in a few posts.

House is looking really good!

Hey LRP, where did you have your houses spray foamed? It was under $400 for the foam board from Menards and the cheapest place I called for spray foam was double that and that wasn't even to do the floor too. Maybe it is because it's winter and would have to be done in a shop? Definitely no draw backs on the spray foam and in the future probably would do that because the board was a pain!

I can't remember who it was. My 8x20 was $1,000 even. I contacted a bunch (8-10) of places for bids, and there was quite a range.

At $30/sheet for 2" it would have been over $800 for board foam, plus the spray cans to seal everything up. Seeing as how there would be a $100 difference in material cost, and I would actually have to fiddle f around with cutting it on a table saw, I call that a wash. Actually, I call that money ahead after factoring in the benefits.

Now, on a smaller job, the gap might be a little bit different (bigger), as these guys have the same setup time and travel time regardless of the job size. My 8x12 + v was $600 back in 2009, and the difference was very little back then, too.

I can't remember who it was. My 8x20 was $1,000 even. I contacted a bunch (8-10) of places for bids, and there was quite a range.

At $30/sheet for 2" it would have been over $800 for board foam, plus the spray cans to seal everything up. Seeing as how there would be a $100 difference in material cost, and I would actually have to fiddle f around with cutting it on a table saw, I call that a wash. Actually, I call that money ahead after factoring in the benefits.

Now, on a smaller job, the gap might be a little bit different (bigger), as these guys have the same setup time and travel time regardless of the job size. My 8x12 + v was $600 back in 2009, and the difference was very little back then, too.

Well that is interesting, wish I could have got in touch with whoever you had spray it.

The foam board looking back at my receipt was actually only $231 plus the 3 cans of spray foam used on the house for both around the doors and windows and to fill in the gaps on the wall. With 1 1/2" on the walls and 2" on the ceiling plus I have 2 whole sheets of the 1 1/2" left over. But I had a hell of a time cutting it all, and then getting it to squeeze between the studs.

I found new sharp utility knife blades work good but that foam eats up the blades in a hurry. I changed mine frequently and when new cut like a hot knife through butter. I'd just cut a line/score a line and snap break the rest of it.

I will say though next time I'm going to look into spray foaming a little harder.

Well a little late on the post. But the first trip was a success. A few minor problems but all in all a good time!!

Will post pics shortly. Still not done with the carpeting or the cabinets but good enough to use for now. (Although after my first trip I am not sure I want to put carpet in!! lol)