• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripping DVD's to use on Tablet

Thanks Guys, The daughter has a Nexus 7 and i am wondering if it is as easy as putting the disc in and hit the rip button or is there a bunch of settings a guy needs to do to get it to work right. Basically i am looking for an easy way to to make copies of the videos for car rides and fishing trips. From past experience i know a lot of free programs have a bunch of dump connected to them and i assume this is the case with these? I also assume this is legal?

Thanks Guys, The daughter has a Nexus 7 and i am wondering if it is as easy as putting the disc in and hit the rip button or is there a bunch of settings a guy needs to do to get it to work right. Basically i am looking for an easy way to to make copies of the videos for car rides and fishing trips. From past experience i know a lot of free programs have a bunch of dump connected to them and i assume this is the case with these? I also assume this is legal?

Should be step by step instructions at places you can search for. The one I had bookmarked went away.

Legal is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly think it is ok to rip a dvd you bought. Some movies even come with a "digital copy" when you buy the disc.

I do know that the authors of one 'ripping' program (anydvd) had to move their headquarters to switzerland in order to maintain selling of their software because it technically was bypassing the encryption on the bluray discs as it ripped them to your hard drive. From this, I could infer that selling of software to do the 'ripping' is probably illegal in the US. Owning said software and using it for personal use on content that one has purchased legally, on the other hand, is quite a different beast altogether and I'm not sure of the technical legal status. Nor do I care. I do know it's more likely to be legal than going 60 mph down the 55 mph road, which I do almost every day. I'm not going to offer any advice there other than my personal opinion.

When I buy content, I'm going to find a way to play it on any device I feel like using it on -- be that my DVD player, my bluray player, a phone or tablet, or the DVD player in the truck. I'm going to play said purchased content in a way that makes me satisfied, e.g. without fearing that my 7 year old will drop the (expensive) original disc in the truck and step on it, etc. For non-redistributed, PERSONAL use of legally-purchased content, I'd guess folks would have a very hard time being prosecuted regardless of the way any law is or may be written in the future -- there are a LOT of 'fair use' precedent cases that would have to be looked at, I assume. I'm not a lawyer.

Neither of the programs I mentioned have much in the way of spyware or whatnot. They MIGHT have a default search engine that they try to get you to use, not unlike Adobe (acrobat pdf viewer) and Oracle (java). I don't remember, it's been a while since I installed them. So just uncheck any options that look unnecessary as you go through the install. Use google to find the settings that make sense as far as encoding quality, etc. I find that on a small device, a 2-3 Mbps or less encoding on H.264 is sufficient. On my TV, I like to crank it to at least 6 Mbps. It's not one-click, but it's not 100 either.

Well i succeeded in making a digital copy of a dvd last night. Now my question is what program do you use to sync to the tablet? I tried windows media player with no luck. Not sure what program to use on the tablet for viewing as well?

For some reason i didnt think it would be that easy. I figured the file would be on the device but not be able to be opened without some type of media player. Which file would a guy drop it into on the tablet? Just in the picture file or gallery? Thanks guys for the help.

For my daughter's Nexus 7, I just drag the files into one of the file folders. In the Nexus 7 directory, I believe there is already a folder for movies. I just drop them in there. To find them on the tablet, I have to click on the movie icon and then press the 3-dots in the upper right corner of the screen. I'd have to select "Personal Movies" and then it would bring up the movies. You can also click on the Gallery icon and usually find the movies that way as well.