• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear Camera

Bobby Bass

Question

Well since gas prices have drooped dramatically I am putting the extra buck a gallon away in the fishing bank. I am playing with the idea of adding a back up camera to my Tahoe. Thinking it would make it easier for me in putting the trailer on and be a nice extra when launching and retrieving the Puddle Humper. Anyone have any pros and cons on a add on rear camera?

18 answers to this question

Bobby,

I've had one on my last 2 trucks and frankly they help a bit but if you are a wily veteran "backer upper" they don't help much more. I guess what I'm saying is that you end up not using your honed skills you've learned without the camera and end up just learning to get close in a different manner. You still end up getting out and having to look things over the majority of the time.

On a side note, my 16 year old son was backing out of our driveway the other day. He asked me what to do. My response was "you have a back up camera, three mirrors and a back up sensor... I can't help you much more than that."

My F150 has the factory installed camera and I really like it. I cant speak for the after market brands, but mine shows a black dotted line that lines up with the receiver and makes it a breeze to hookup trailers, not that I couldn't do it before, but it does make it really easy. Most of the time on the first attempt!

I received a set of two yellow balls on telescopic poles with magnet bases for Christmas. One goes near the ball, the other on the boat trailer. In theory this should help because I am HORRIBLE at lining those things up. Since boat is in storage until April, it remains a theory. Otherwise, I know they make an aftermarket camera that attaches to the tailgate via a magnet. May also look into that. I'm serious, I suck at it even after five years with the boat.

I expect to be back to my old ways and fishing a lot more this summer. Trouble is the boat has either gotten heavier or I in my old age I have gotten weaker. Gets to be a pain when I am alone having to jockey the truck around to match up with the trailer. Can't just lift up the trailer and man handle it like I used to. So I am just looking at a way of saving a few minutes every time I load up which could end up adding up over the course of the fishing season. The bonus of having a backup camera would be when loading the boat and being able to hit that sweet spot depth wise when backing the trailer into the water.

I to have a set of them yellow balls, used them once I think then put them up in the rafters some where. frown

I have a factory installed camera in my 2014 Chevy. I love the back up camera, took a couple tries and now I back up, get out and hook up. Not the back to the truck and move a few inches every time I want to hook up to something. Not sure about the aftermarket but if they r close to the factory ones for viewing, I would go for it.

Maybe one of these would work for you. Ive never used one, but have always thought they looked handy. Might be a little cheaper than a camera.

full-14614-52495-hitchguide.png

I have that mechanism and it works well. Wife bought a cheap (peek or peak crazy ) camera last Christmas for me and didn't work well. Yet. Have to buy an extension cord to get antenna closer to the camera. So I've been told.

I have two work trailers I drag everywhere and the boat on weekends. Had bought a Peak camera in 04 and moved it to my 05 truck and maybe it lasted until 08. My seat are now worn out now from the excessive in and out and would like to replace it soon. I think they work great!

HTB

Maybe one of these would work for you. Ive never used one, but have always thought they looked handy. Might be a little cheaper than a camera.

Whats that deflector thing called?? Looks like it would be slick on a lighter trailer.

I bought a Swift Hitch last spring because I got tired of jumping in and out to check alignment. Not so important with a lighter trailer, but tongue weight of my wheel house made it necessary. It's a bit spendy, but works very well. The only drawback is the size of the screen. Would be great if the it was a bit bigger to suit my aged eyesight.

http://www.amazon.com/Swift-Portable-Wir...wift+hitch+sh01

I found them by doing a google search for hitch guide. I don't own one, but used to see commercials for them while watching Sunday morning fishing shows, and always thought they were a great idea. Probably would be easy to make one, if you know someone who is good a fabricating steel. There isn't a whole lot to them.

I absolutely love my backup camera. Its a factory installed version, so I have no suggestions for aftermarket, but I would tell tell you to get one.

Yes, I would call myself an expert backer-upper before, but when it comes to lining up the trailer hitch in any situation, using the camera is the cats a$$. I don't need to get out an check anymore. I back right in and its on every time. I can honestly say its the best option on my truck. It has saved me so many headaches with getting my camper hooked up. Guys with boats and single axle fishhouses can lean on the trailer a bit for that extra inch. You can't lean on a 5000lb camper and get it to move.

Yeah!! Me too!!! That looks like Manna from Heaven to me. Except I'd still have to get the ball inside the "Deflector Shields". I'm telling you, I stink at this.