• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spare tire/winch cables.for ice castle.

Boar

one the spare tire issue, one just needs to get a rim an tire from LandM really dont need to go thru my castle dealer and get the fancy rim they put on the house, just need the rim and tire size for a spare. anyone know the size for a tandem. mines at the lake right now.

As far as winch cables where dose one go to get theese, thru milaca? or a dealer, I could go an d get cable for LandM but then have to get the crimping tool and collars to crimp, although that wouldnt be a bad idea for on the fly repairs. any jelp on this would be great, just preping for the invevitable, have most thing but like spares for the spares. thanks

Hey Boar, I am waiting for my LOW to be built. It comes standard now with stainless steel cables. Any idea on how long they will last. I like the idea of having a spare cable. Once I get my shack I will have to make one up. As far as spare tires go, The unclaimed freight place has them, steel wheel and tire for under $200. I am guessing the tire would be the expensive part. I wonder if you called Ice Castle if they would tell you what the hubs are for or the bolt pattern. It would be a lot cheaper picking a rim up from a bone yard but add a trailer tire and mounting/balance you get back up there in price.

stainless will probabley last longer, mine are rusting, but i keep an eye on them. I like the idea of a same style rim but its a spare, if I can save money on just a spare i will. what size LOW do ya have coming?

Boar,

, Ace hardware, menards everywhere has the cable. I wouldn't buy cable just get a handful of clamps to repair on the lake..I.C puts way too much cable on in the first place so if it breaks just re-clamp it. Get the clamps that are u shaped not the crimp ones. They may not look as nice but they hold better.

If you have a northern tool close they are usually the cheapest with the $20 off 100 coupon they send out all the time.Like $130 out the door. Fleet farm and milaca are about the same. Buy the tire and rim already mounted you will not find a tire and then have it mounted on a free rim for cheaper than you can find a combo. I'm pretty certain you have a 6 hole trailer rim 225/75/15, I can't remember off hand the hole spacing but can measure in the morning.

How do you get those crimped ends off or apart??

My 5 year old ice castle still has the original cables on it, with the crimped ends. The cables look to be good yet, the first thing I did when I got it was to put a heavy layer of grease on the cables and I redo it every year, so they look good. Plus I haven't taken it on any long salt covered road roadtrips.

Looking at those ends, wondering how I'd make repairs on the road, thinking about being proactive and replacing the cables with stainless and U clamps.

I'm not sure what size cable yours uses, but I made all new cables on my Yetti this year, you can buy the ferrule crimping tool (Swagging tool) at Home Depot or Lowe's but it maxes out at 3/16". It looks like a bolt cutter but has round holes in it for the different size ferrules. I don't care for those bolt on clamps, but they are good to carry around in case of emergency.

I went with just Galvanized cable as it had a slightly higher weight rating than Stainless for the same diameter. My cables usually get frayed from use about the same time as they start showing rust so I considered that a wash.

As far as getting the crimped ends off, I don't think that would be easy on the side of the road/lake. Easiest would be with air or electric cut off wheel.

As far as getting the crimped ends off, I don't think that would be easy on the side of the road/lake. Easiest would be with air or electric cut off wheel.

Thats why I was thinking of going with the U clamps with bolts. Replace with stainless cables and U bolts, have one spare and spare U clamps, then a person could replace alongside the road if necessary. Actually they shouldn't break along side the road if you have the pins in, they'd break on the lake....

the guys I would go that had wheel houses always had spare parts such as a spare spring, tire, and clamps and a spare cable if needed. Nothing worse then getting to Red or any other destination and trying to leave or move and find out something broke and you don't have a replacement and the nearest store is over an hour or so away. These all came in handy one time or another when out on the lake.