• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finishing Durock (cement board)?

Roop-Dogg

can I use regular all-purpose joint compound and regular mesh tape or paper tape when taping corners and seams, above the tiles, in a shower? (I used Durock cement board from floor to ceiling although the tile will only be up 6' or so----leaving 2 ft between tile and ceiling) also, can I use the same joint compound to skim the remaining durock, above the tile, to make it smooth for painting..........or is there a better way to prep cement board, for taping and painting? (where water should not be an issue)

thank you, that's an interesting answer since that was what I had originally intended to do...then I had someone tell me that since the remaining 2 feet would be above the shower walls, I should use cement board all the way up for additional protection against water. . in any case, still wondering how to properly finish the cement board. (don't really want to tile the whole thing)

Any drywall products should never be used in wet areas. Steam will penetrate through a lot of product, even oil base paint. Best to durock and tile all the way to the ceiling and even better do the same to the ceiling. Use of redgaurd or similar product is recommended on durock. Also use the durock mesh tape, not drywall mesh. Big difference. As far as finishing the rock, any texture or paint will eventually collect mold and start to loosen

I did shower pan on floor then durrock all 3 sides all way up to ceiling, then redguard all seems, after redguard dried first time went back over with redguard on seems again and all over durrock with paint roller for water proofing, thin set and tile all 3 walls all the way to ceiling.

I appreciate the advice on tiling to the ceiling and I know that is sometimes done that way. but when I think of our showers stalls and those of friend, relatives etc. they are almost always 6' tile or 1 pc surround(6') and 2' of finished wall and I actually like that look. was just wondering if any special precautions had to be made when finishing the 2' of cement board for painting.

I appreciate the advice on tiling to the ceiling and I know that is sometimes done that way. but when I think of our showers stalls and those of friend, relatives etc. they are almost always 6' tile or 1 pc surround(6') and 2' of finished wall and I actually like that look. was just wondering if any special precautions had to be made when finishing the 2' of cement board for painting.

No problem, let me know if u would like a pic of how ours turned out

I would tile all the way to the top. I've only tiled to the top once but it looked great. Tiling to the top is considered the "nice way" to do it. Leaving a strip on drywall on the top is more production house style. When I was planning my last one, I looked at a bunch of forums and the overwhelming preference was for tile to the top.

As for not tiling to the top. It should have regular drywall, not Durock.

If you going to try to finish the durock, just skim it with regular drywall mud. May take a few coats, and could be tricky to get perfectly flat.

full-10713-52502-2015_01_0519.28.00.jpg

I'm a tile setter and this is what I did in my house after only 6 or 7 years of sheet rock butting up to the shower stall. It's not water splashing up above six feet. It's the steam building up on the sheet rock and then running down and pooling where the sheet rock meets the surround/ tile. The sheet rock will start to break down and you will either have to Re mud and Re paint or just tile to the ceiling to eliminate the problem for good.