• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dayton Trying to Ruin Gophers

JBMasterAngler

Anyone else see the story about Mark Dayton trying to pass a law so that gopher games won't be allowed to start any earlier than noon? His basis for the law is, students don't wake up early enough to go to the game. Not that I believe for a second this will amount to anything, but can you imagine if this passed? Good bye tv money!

Anyone else see the story about Mark Dayton trying to pass a law so that gopher games won't be allowed to start any earlier than noon? His basis for the law is, students don't wake up early enough to go to the game. Not that I believe for a second this will amount to anything, but can you imagine if this passed? Good bye tv money!

To be fair to dayton, he also said he didn't think for a second that this will go anywhere.

It was an odd thing to say though.

To be fair to dayton, he also said he didn't think for a second that this will go anywhere.

It was an odd thing to say though.

To be fair to Dayton, he probably doesn't get his ars out of bed until noon to watch a game! wink

I'm being sincere when I ask this but what is Gov Dayton's medical condition anyway? It seems he has some issue that keeps him from being able to speak in a "normal" manner. Even though I'm on the other end of the political spectrum from him I'd at least like someone representing us with some people/communication skills. Does he have an affliction of some sort?

Quote:
Dayton seeks ban on 11 a.m. kickoffs for Gopher football

December 30, 2014 By Aaron Ziemer

Gov. Mark Dayton has put himself in the middle of many sports issues since taking office.

Tuesday the governor took aim at another one. According to the Pioneer Press, Dayton will propose a law to ban 11 a.m. kickoffs at the University of Minnesota.

“They talk about the concern about attendance at the Gopher games – they start them at 11 o’clock in the morning,” Dayton told the newspaper. “I’m going to propose that we pass a law that no (Division I FBS) football game in Minnesota can start before noon.”

The Gophers hosted four games at TCF Bank Stadium that started 11 a.m. this season, but Dayton said that’s just too early.

“If you want to tailgate, you have to be there by 9 a.m.,” Dayton told the newspaper. “Most students I don’t think are awake at 9 a.m.”

The start time of Gophers games is just the latest sports issue that Dayton has attempted to tackle. He pushed through a measure to build a new Minnesota Vikings Stadium, weighed in on the Adrian Peterson situation and took the University of Minnesota to task over a new football/hockey ticket bundling package it created.

But, according to Yahoo Sports writer Nick Bromberg, while student attendance is a problem for some universities it’s not a large issue in the grand scheme of college football, because as Bromberg notes “television dollars rule all.”

Bromberg points out that without the Big Ten’s television deals with FOX, ESPN and its own network, Minnesota would have far less revenue than it currently does.

According to the Pioneer Press, Dayton knows that his proposal may go nowhere, but he told the newspaper this will “get the discussion going.”

There's so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to start.

There's so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to start.

that's because us fans of SEC schools usually don't have to wake up early to watch our games. Usually plenty of time to sleep in and do yard-work and STILL make it early to tailgate. Cripes I had time to put in a full day of steelheading before most of the Auburn games this year.

Not tomorrow though. Tomorrow I have to wake up early from a night of bourbon on da rocks... make some breakfast burritos and watch Auburn destroy stupid wisconsin.

Dayton does realize there are other time zones in the US, right? Half of the Big 10 is in the Eastern time zone so their games start at 12:00. You think the TV networks want the noon games to run into the 3:00 games on the east coast?

Politicians need to keep their nose out of places it doesn't belong.

that's because us fans of SEC schools usually don't have to wake up early to watch our games. Usually plenty of time to sleep in and do yard-work and STILL make it early to tailgate. Cripes I had time to put in a full day of steelheading before most of the Auburn games this year.

That's what happens when you are the fan of a relevant football team. We watch our games in prime time. Same thing goes for tomorrow. wink

Not tomorrow though. Tomorrow I have to wake up early from a night of bourbon on da rocks... make some breakfast burritos and watch Auburn destroy stupid wisconsin.

A bowl game against a Big 10 team is the only time you'll catch me rooting for Auburn. Is that game on at the same time as the Gophers?

Dayton does realize there are other time zones in the US, right?

It's been clear for some time that he doesn't know what day of the week it is, let alone comprehend time zones and TV contracts.

My best guess is that one of the people who have his hand up his back making him talk pushed the wrong buttons and he blurted out this garbage.

How bad did stupid Wisconsin get destroyed? Those Big 12 boys shouldn't be allowed on the same field with SEC schools, right!?! laugh The aborted destruction may have been for the best. It would be an auburn embarrassment to award J. Stave the game ball. 4 of top 5 SEC West teams are down. Hoping for Alabama to complete a straight flush.

How bad did stupid Wisconsin get destroyed? Those Big 12 boys shouldn't be allowed on the same field with SEC schools, right!?! laugh The aborted destruction may have been for the best. It would be an auburn embarrassment to award J. Stave the game ball. 4 of top 5 SEC West teams are down. Hoping for Alabama to complete a straight flush.

I still think, and will always think, Wisconsin is stupid.

Ya got me, Big Dave! Thanks for being HSO's spelling/typing cop. Was that an appointed position or did you win that title? sick

I had no idea it was a typing error, I assumed you had no idea what conference Wisconsin was in or I thought maybe Wisconsin jumped ship because they could see how tough an opponent the Gophers were going to be for decades to come.