• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In the market for a new auger.....please help

bassNspear

I have jiffy propane 10 inch and I hate it. Throws to much ice and is way to heavy. I have a ice castle and I use the bucket and it still gets all over so I need to get a new one

What are your guys thoughts. I don't want gas

Sounds like ion auger is in your future. Have not seen the new Strikemaster in action but I know the ion throws little chips. Light too.

Another vote for the ION. I have heard the new Strikemaster is a little faster but it has the lazer style blades which are not good for re-opening old holes.

ION also has the 10in bit. The 10in is not near as fast as the 8in but it does the trick if your only drilling a handful of holes.

The new ION also has reverse which helps push some of the chips back down the hole.

If looking for an auger in a wheel house, hard to beat the 10.25 inch big volt. $319.99 and will drill nice big holes -- but you have to be within 24 feet of a 12 volt battery. Works well if your truck is around, but not so mobile. I imagine a guy might be able to run it off a 4-wheeler battery, but can't guarantee that.

If you want to go mobile, then probably Ion or the new Strikemaster Lithium Lazer. Just don't expect too much out of the 10 inch ion -- based on early reviews it doesn't work the greatest.

I recently got the ION w/reverse. Drilling and clean up in pretty much one punch. Nice that I can start the heater when I get to the lake and fishing shortly after dropping the house in comfort. Just a couple light spoon scoops of slush for the fish bucket per hole. Love it!

check out the K-drill & Milwaukee M18 Fuel Drill combo that Vexilar sell. it comes in either 6 or 8 inch. you can get the 8 inch combo for $549.99 or $249.99 just for the auger part it self if you already have a good 18 or higher volt drill. light weight and does not throw chips.

How much slower is the ion 10

It is quite a bit slower. It seems that you have to clear some ice out of the hole as you are drilling. If you don't it will stop drilling. It will be interesting to see how it works through 3ft of ice. I will only be using the 10in in the house later in the season. Or if I only plan on drilling a few holes.

I have also heard the new 10" Eskimo Propane is nice. Joe out at Red Rock in Ely was testing one and was impressed. I bet if you give him a call he can give you some info on pretty much every auger out there.

Jiffy= built like a tank, heavy as one, throws ice all over, will out live owner grin . Not sure what OP was thinking as he described everything Jiffy is that he hates???? Auger bought prior to fish house purchase?