• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson fishing report

hunter - I'm really interested in the ice shelter you have in the pic. Who makes it? Where can you buy them? Can you haul it out with a snowmobile? Is it on wheels or skis? What are the pros and cons of it? We use the 4 man Otter fish house but, like me, it's getting pretty old. Tent shelters are convenient but I love the idea of no setup or breakdown.

Thanks for the pics! 2 more weeks and it'll be my turn!

Its a alumalite fish house I pull it behind my snowmobile i have pulled it up to 20 miles one way behind my snowmobile. Its a 6.5 x 12 v front its all spray foamed walls and floor very warm. I have not used my otter since i bought it. This is my first winter with it i bought late spring at streiffs in waroad. So far i have nothing bad to say about it sure is nice fishing in it when its minus 20 out.It has skis with plastic on the bottom of them. The only down side is i cant pull it as fast as my otter due to low snow i don't want to beat it up to bad. I have pulled it up 30 mph no problem if its smooth going i could pull it 50 mph plus but i don't want to hit something. full-24990-52364-img_0105.jpg

full-24990-52363-img_0102.jpg

That is exactly what I'm upgrading to. New Otter 4 man (or other brands) portables are upwards of $1200 anyway. And if I want to ride into Arrow Lake or take the pine forest portage from Burrow Bay, I'll more than likely just be out for a ride and not worried about fish. There are plenty of great fishing spots that you could tow this to.

Thanks again for the info and pics! Good luck fishing this weekend!

Yea got back sunday fishing was a little tough due to the weather. Saturday moring fresh snow and very windy and cold couldnt hardly see tell about noon. We got walleyes on the reefs in 19 to 21 feet tried deeper and all we got were very small fish. My oldest kid got a 40 inch northren on a light walleye rod. Sunday moring it was 32 below zero very cold. I think travel on the lake is worse after the snow due to wind and large drifts. To cold for me to go check on any lake trout. We got enough fish to eat and took some home. I will try post some pictures later.

Nice pike! Looks just like the one I caught only 32" longer.

Well I finally got my turn on the ice and it was awesome! Fishing was fantastic, catching was slow. We tried everything from 19 to 21 feet of water but never found the elusive honey hole. Seemed to catch most fish useing a gold jigging shad called a "Chubby Darter" and gold lead heads seemed to work fine too. But, we caught dinner for 7 and good times were had by all. Went on a great sled ride through the portage at the north end of Burrow Bay and found some really nice powder to play around in and stretch the legs on the snow machines. FYI - the portage over Rabbit into Burrow Bay at Elm Portage is open for business but the one just west of there has some timber down and is currently impassable.

Be back up for a rematch of Me vs. Wally the Walleye in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone else that posts on here - it makes the time in between trips a little more tolerable.

Hi All,

Heading back up for out annual March trip. Will be up this TH-Sunday, just curious how the travel is and snow depth? I guess if anyone had a fishing report I would take that too so I can sit hear and daydream about fish at work more than I am already. Thanks in advnace, D&B

I'm supposed to go up next week Thursday to Sunday and would be quite interested to hear how conditions are for you this weekend, Ducks. Getting a little worried, especially about making the run to WFB for trout.

We were up there on Saturday trying to find some Crappies. This was our first winter trip to that area so were not real familiar with the areas that we should be targeting for winter crappie. So, it was more of an exploratory trip more than anything. Travel was good. Snow was hard - very hard in some areas but I would expect that would change with the weather we have been having. We did not locate the crappies but had a great time. Travel should not be an issue - enough snow so snowmobiles will be needed even with a good melt. No signs of slush or areas that would be problematic. We went from Hanson Bay to Miles Bay. Hope that helps.

I am heading up on Wednesday to morson I will try give a report.I Will be up there through the weekend. Just wondering if I can get away without a extension on the auger. Plan on doing some trout fishing.

Warrior,

Just curiouis if you could tell me if there is a trail marked for sleds going to/from Miles and Hanson Bays from Morson? Have been in these areas a bunch with the boat but never on sleds. Don't really want to go off to unknown areas with currents and such. And/or did you find any areas that we should stay away from? Thanks!

The last time I was up there were stakes coming out of miles bay and I think they went to hanson bay. The ice should be good for a while even with warm temps. There are areas to avoid just depending on where you are going. I am on the way up in the moring.

Well there won't be a shortage of fishing reports after this weekend then because I'm headed to Morson too! Not sure I'd plan another ice adventure after this weekend though based on the weather forcast. I know, it takes a lot to get rid of 3 feet of ice but I like to stay away from that transition and just let mother nature do her thing.

Keep your eyes peeled for another ALumaLite out and about this weekend huntercj! Good luck to everyone and be safe!

Whoa! Quite the crowd headed up there! Maybe we will see you all out there. We will be in a group with a pack of Ski-Doo renegades and portable houses, feel free to swing over and say hi. We are headed up tomorrow night later. Will likely be fishing out of Morson Friday and/or Saturday. Will report on Monday. Good luck and be safe.

Ducks

Given this was our first venture into the area we were very cautious in our approach to driving and travel. We didn't see a marked trail from Hanson Bay but we did follow the snowmobile tracks and there was a pretty solid path right up to the north end of Miles Bay. We didn't see or find any areas that we were concerned with but keep in mind we played it safe and kept to the open areas. Once in Miles Bay there was 36"+ of ice and it was all good.

Ducks - We'll be heading up from Monticello in white ford f-350.....headin to sioux narrows to fish mostly trout. Hope to fish a little crappies and walleyes as well. Maybe we'll see you on the way up! Good luck! I'll report back on Monday