• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who spends their winters tying their own crawler harnesses?

tacklejunkie

I have been doing that this winter. I pretty much troll spinners only for walleyes and over time, use crankbaits less and less. So decided to give a try tying my own this winter. Think I'm getting the hang of it. Treble hooks on some. Quick change clevises on others. Experimenting with bead colors...

Who else also likes to tie their own? And I've heard glass beads can really click in dirty water but can't seem to find those

Just about any kind of terminal tackle that you can buy raw parts for and put together with hand tools, I make myself anymore.

Back in MN it was harnesses/leaders that incorporated blades and beads, and even my own inline spinners.

Now my wire, line, and hooks are used to make big bait harnesses for sharks smile

I still have to spend my winters dreaming of fishing waiting until the season comes around again, and that's how I kill some time.

Can't say I "spend the winter" doing it, but a few hours each winter are used tying up a few dozen grin

Components are relatively expensive, so it's not really much of a money saver, more so just fun to catch fish on custom tackle that you created yourself wink

I have tied a few hundred of them. Why not run quick change clevises on all of them? I do. It is the only way to go.

Not too sure about treble hooks it seems unnecesasry they usaully smash spinners anyways and hookups should not be an issue. With trebles you are adding cost to you rig; making the hooks easier to see, and creating more snag problems.

If you take an assemebly line method you will be able to tie them exponentially faster. I do 5 at a time; cut of 5 lenths of line, tie all 10 hooks, add all the beads, add all the swivels, etc.. It is fast

Can't say I "spend the winter" doing it, but a few hours each winter are used tying up a few dozen grin

Components are relatively expensive, so it's not really much of a money saver, more so just fun to catch fish on custom tackle that you created yourself wink

I disagree. I find it cheaper to tie your own with premium hooks than to purchase premade with junk hooks. Cost is the main reason I started making my own. We lose so many on the Most river.

I know Northlander spends some time make them, and his work pretty well! wink

I tie them year round. Last year I think I sold about 2500 spinners in different types to people, resorts, stores and even traded them for some awesome gear and trips. If you buy your stuff in large bulk like I do and watch for local sales you will save a ton of money and get exactly what you want. I use all quick exchange clevis's and VMC hooks because I wont sell anything I wont use myself. As far as glass beads being better in dirty water I quit buying them because they are spendy and I didnt notice any increase in my catch rate by using them.

Blades are of course your big cost, especially when you get into custom and specialty blades of bigger sizes. Thats where buying in bulk really saves you $.

Those that tie, do you prefer flourocarbon or mono?

I've tried both, and have to say Trilene XT is my favorite. It has higher knot strength than flouro and provides a small amount of bouyancy, which in theory snags less. I've tried as light as 6lb and as high as 20lb (in pike infested waters), but have to say 12 or 14lb is my preference.

A related question, what is your favorite loop knot for the non-business end of your leaders? My unscientific tests have me settled on a figure eight, but I'm sure there is another easy tying knot that is even stronger? ?

I tie all my own, too. I spent a lot of time a few winters ago getting a bunch of pool noodles all loaded up. Now I just need to replace the ones I've used up, or add a few new bead combinations.

I don't know how many folks do this, but here's a quick tip from some walleye guy about how to pre-rig your bead combinations. Kind of neat, and it works great.

Remember, if your going to use glass beads, glass sinks.

Good to know. I heard the glass beads make more noise in the water which would be good for the dark waters of the St Louis River but I didn't know they sank.

I've heard guys fishing for walleyes in Erie like the treble hooks. What's the rationale of using trebles on crawler harnesses over single hooks?

using single hooks over trebles, would think that they would snag less. the action of the crawler could be different, which is what triggers most bits. haven't busted out the beads and spinners yet this winter, still lots of ice season to go! got to be one of the best and effective ways to catch those walleyes. major caous at times!

I've heard guys fishing for walleyes in Erie like the treble hooks. What's the rationale of using trebles on crawler harnesses over single hooks?

On Erie they use harnesses to go after suspended fish with inline weights and boards.

Bottom bouncing with trebles is asking for snags unless you are on a constant mud or sand bottom.

I use harnesses with and without trebles. I mainly use the trebles when big fish are the target using big baits are used. By big baits, I mean very large full crawlers. Green Bay, Lake Erie, Bays de Noc and sometimes LOW. I use single hooks for smaller fish and when fishing rocks.

I just put a simple overhand knot at the top and don't have any problems. Just remember to keep it wet when tightening it.

I don't use glass beads as they have proved to me more pain that what they where worth, but if you want to try them you can find a good selection at places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnns craft stores.