• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Too much?

DTro

Reminds me of the old days. There was a photo on a book cover by Al and Ron Lindner with 12 walleyes caught Fall fishing on Gull Lake and they were all hogs. Eventually they published the book with a different cover.

I think the culture on Erie may make this kosher for whatever reason, never fished it because some guys that I know that do have literally never been able to get out fishing when the wind blows too much.

I liked that they tried to make fishing fun, but there was something about how they throw the fish on the ice and how many of them they had. It was almost like watching those old photos of people with piles of Buffalo hide next to skinned Buffalo.

Im sure its just a few of them giving the crew a bad rap. But overall, that looks like a blast catching that size of walleye.

I have friends here at work been going for about 15 years and still the same as the video. They do it open water and man they have some hogs and eat a lot of fish.

I haven't tracked the Erie phenomenon but I recall hearing YEARS ago the open water trollers were pulling in a 7 pound average with no end in sight. Like - if you only had a 7 pound average in a tournament, there was no need to waste your time weighing in...

That's even more amazing than the 'Peg.

Well, to us in the midwest who might never catch 1 fish like that, to watch what appears to be hundreds is amazing. If you look down at the comments, they are interesting including the one where the Great Lakes Fishery Commission estimates over 22 million catchable walleye in Lake Erie. I also know friends in the area who claim that the safe harvest is a combination of the sportsman's catch and the Canadian commercial catch which is adjusted to the sportsman's catch. The old adage, if you don't we will so their feeling is that someone will get these fish it might as well be "us". What the heck, I'm sure it's easy to criticize until you experience it yourself.

Erie is like no other walleye lake in the world.

It is huge and it is full of huge walleyes. They manage and monitor the population so you or I could go do the same thing tomorrow, or in 10 years.

If the Lake of the Woods average fish was 6 or 7 pounds (versus 6 or 7 ounces) are many of you saying that you wouldn't take any home??

Just because it is something we're not used to doesn't make it wrong..........

I grew up on the Erie fishery and I can tell you it is totally different than what is available here in Minnesota. Really there is no comparison. The lake's biological condition is optimium for raising large walleye and lots of them. The Fermi plants provide warm water during the winter that helps to act as an incubator for young of the year walleye.

The posted video is rather glutonous.

Behind the rise and fall of every great fishery are the guys who say, “this body of water is different and can handle the pressure” I don’t think I need to list the examples and even huge bodies of water are not exempt (North Pacific Halibut comes to mind) It is not one man’s video that will be the demise, rather the cumulative effect of both commercial and recreational fishermen who cannot control themselves.

I have yet to see a case in which conservative harvest regulations has hurt a fishery.