• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bucket List Cars

OK, if the moderators will allow it, since Ufatz and I started this little tete a tete when I gave him some guff in the thread about his Toyota, thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's tastes are in collectibles. And since my collecting is still in its infancy, I can still dream. Once I get healed up after finishing the 1960 Studebaker Lark anyway. Here goes:

- 1957 or 1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk with the supercharged 289 V8. A screamer in its day. Only the Chrysler 300 C was faster at the time. See a '57 Golden Hawk every once in a while in Turning Wheels and in the online services. Cue "If I had a Million Dollars". Have had shot or two at some of the lesser Hawks, a 1959 Silver Hawk and a 1960 Hawk recently but I'm saving myself for when the right one comes along...lol

full-1225-52039-58_studebaker_golden_haw

- 1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe. Yep Ufatz, they really were quite the car in their day and I am jealous of you. My friend and kindly neighbor had one too. He wishes he had it back, too. Found one a couple years ago north of here in rough shape on an auction. I would also have been in rough shape had I brought it home and parked the 3 wheeled, raccoon hotel & lawn ornament anywhere where the Mrs. could see it.

full-1225-52040-8481100461_9a35c2fd3e_z.

- 1964 Studebaker Avanti R2. Last year Stude made them although Avanti's continued to be made into the 2000's. Timeless design, fast and really made one appreciate the craftsmanship and sophistication of the cars of that era. My cousin had one and I always used to ogle it at the family gatherings. He always gave me the stink eye anytime I got close enough to touch it.

full-1225-52041-1964_studebaker_avanti_f

- 1958 Buick Roadmaster. My brother had one when he was in college back in the 60's. An absolute tank, it was like driving around while sitting on your living room couch. My Dad was a Buick guy. He made his 1929 Buick into a feed wagon. He lived to regret it.

full-1225-52042-buick_roadmaster_75_1958

- 1963 Corvette convertible. There was a white one with red leather seats I used to see when I was about 5 or 6. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't figure out why the guy always had these dumb girls in tight sweaters riding with him.

full-1225-52045-716_1_1963_chevrolet_cor

- 1958 International A 120 pickup. 3/4 ton with a Black Diamond 6 and 4 wheel drive. Was my Dad's truck or as my brother and I affectionately called it, Johnny's Bomb. We even sang a song about it to the tune of Oh Tannenbaum. Same color (Crest toothpaste green) as the one in the photo. The truck was tougher than nails and was one of the few 4 wheel drives in the area at the time. Geared low so if it got up to 60 mph you had to be going downhill with a tailwind. He had a flat bed put on it with a Feurhelm stock rack. Hauled livestock, grain and lots of kids to 4-H events.

full-1225-52044-13925991758_7be6be54a9.j

I have to admit. Until this year there were several muscle cars from the 60's - 90's that could have made the list from Hemi Cuda's to GTO's, Chevelles, Trans Am's etc.

That all changed earlier this year when Dodge introduced the Hellcat. This car singlehandedly made me stop caring about the muscle cars of the past as none of them can touch it. This car has it all. Looks, power, handling and it does it while providing modern conveniences.

full-35430-51974-14964324177_059ba3dbc0.

Beats a Hemi Cuda by almost 3 seconds in the quarter. Game over.

I'm torn on this. I love the thread btw. I'd say for the thrill of driving and a modern car a gtr with its launch control or a full blown 240sx drift car again just for the fun of driving it but going to an old classic muscle car.... There's so many I don't know where to start. Pretty much any gm 68-72 car. The hellcats pretty cool and all in a straight line but Im more of a fan of cornering. That's just me though

I hope I'm not starting something here but I too would love to get my 69 Super Bee back but with all the foreign drivers out there( that could give a dump less about anything) and not to mention those with no insurance, I would have a tough time even taking it out on a Sunday morning. Sure the older cars were easier to work on but if I had the choice would probably go with modern muscle.

That Hellcat is quite a car but I'm still old skool in a kooky kind of way.

I currently own a 68 Fury III. It's no muscle car but it sure is fun to drive. Floats like an aircraft carrier down the road and that power steering is to die for. She's far from showroom but she's all original and I gotta dig that. I can't really say all original. I did replace the starter and I took out the points ingnition and replaced with the electronic conversion. Having said that, my bucket list.....

67 GTO with the Pontiac big block 400. Good lord those are beautiful cars.

68 Camero Z28. To quote Chevrolet on their ad posters, "Closest thing to a vet yet." Beautiful lines with power to boot.

72 VW Beetle. I know, doesn't fit well with the late 60's muscle car theme but they're just so stinkin cool.

48 Willys. Unstoppable.

72 VW Beetle. I know, doesn't fit well with the late 60's muscle car theme but they're just so stinkin cool.

we drove, and I maintained, a 68 beetle until 85. Wife's car. If I never have to get near one again that will be fine with me.

Now that 68 Barracuda 340 Formula S I used to have.....

That Hellcat is quite a car but I'm still old skool in a kooky kind of way.

I currently own a 68 Fury III. It's no muscle car but it sure is fun to drive. Floats like an aircraft carrier down the road and that power steering is to die for. She's far from showroom but she's all original and I gotta dig that. I can't really say all original. I did replace the starter and I took out the points ingnition and replaced with the electronic conversion. Having said that, my bucket list.....

67 GTO with the Pontiac big block 400. Good lord those are beautiful cars.

68 Camero Z28. To quote Chevrolet on their ad posters, "Closest thing to a vet yet." Beautiful lines with power to boot.

48 Willys. Unstoppable.

I hear ya in a way. The list of cars I have owned include a 72 Chevelle SS, 68 GTO, 85 TransAm with T Tops, a 69 Impala, 72 Nova and a few others and all have a place in my heart for sure. The one that got away was a Plum Crazy Purple 70 Hemi Cuda tha a guy was selling when I was a senior for $3k. The old man nixed that one on me and it still bugs me to this day grin.

But after 40 years of marginal cars, Detroit has finally gotten their mojo back together and the vehicles they are putting out now are impressive in their own way.

Compare the new HD trucks with the power of the diesels they are running to the ones they had in the past that sound like a tin can full of ball bearings and marginal power at best. Plugging in when the temps got to 40. And the payloads they can handle.

The light duty trucks with Ecoboost, Ecodiesel getting oner 20 MPG and making more power than they ever have and comfort as well.

And the cars. For 40 years it was rare to have a car introduced that was in any way impressive compared to the glory days but now with the competition for buyers and with quality going up I am more than happy with the industry right now and I really never thought I would say that.

If I had to choose a few from the Muscle car era the list would be

1970 Plymouth Super Bird

1970 GTO Judge

1970 Hemi Cuda

1970 Chevelle SS 454

1970 Buick GSX

1967 Corvette Stingray.

Purple Floyd, what's your definition of a sleeper? This car is very unassuming with nothing outrageous on it, in fact my Shelby GT looks more street racer than this. That's the definition of a sleeper, and did I get my butt handed to me.

A buddy of mine has a Bentley Continental GT 12cyl Coupe. Pretty fun ride except not much of a sleeper. Except, not many people even know what it is. We were at a gas station one day and some guy asked if it was a new buick... Not quite.

This isn't it, but same car.

fab-pic.jpg

I wouldn't mind trying out a newer Audi S8

Or their are plenty of classics I'd feel quite happy with.

Here's a couple places you might like. Came across them last winter while getting my exercise. Right across the street from each other.

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/

http://www.sportscarcompany.com/

The second one, under "classics" even has some cool stuff a relatively ordinary dude could afford.

Take a look at this restored Cobra replica.... $55k

Way more fun than some corvette....

http://www.sportscarcompany.com/detail-1983-shelby-cobra-replica-used-11693480.html

Too many would be on my bucket list. But I like classic cars and modern muscle. Personally have 3 at home "to be restored" not in a hurry but wife says no more buying until I get these ones done. I've got a 1967 Lincoln Contentinal convertible sucide 4 door. A 1968 Chevy Suburban 3 door 4x4 that I'm putting a 05 Tahoe 5.3 ls and a 4l60 in along with the leather seats and modern interior from the tahoe and a 1974 Toyota fj40 that I think I will also put a ls engine in. Needless to say I shouldn't be playing in the computer I should be in the garage wrenching. DieselDan

prelude_january_1999.jpg

I was scrolling through this and was [ poor word usage ] I bet this is Jeremy! LOL

I look at what I can buy and thats great. I want to make something I can be proud of, there are a lot of great cars to come. Look at the new mustang GT500, or focus rs. New exciting cars will be ther for our children's children to lust over.

My 74 super beetle is sitting at home all sad like.

I would like to build a V10 mustang fr500s.

I would have to go with a,

Shelby Cobra

70 hemi super bird 4spd

71 hemi cuda convert 4spd

69 hemi charger 4spd

As far as newer cars? That would really be a long list!

My buddy bought a 70 gto Judge Ram air brand new for $4K. He took the original rims and exhaust off (still has them) and put a lot of aftermarket stuff on it. He said he never lost a race in it. A few years later he traded it in on a new Mustang and Ford gave him $700 for it. The only problem it had at that time was a couple scratches on the passenger door panel.

When the restoration is complete on the 69 goat going to let my buddy borrow it for a few days...

Dotch, I'm starting a 1960 stude hawk soon. Its in line after the 64 galaxie I'm on now, the 66 caprice next, a 69 mach 1.... And then the hawk.

Its going to be a massive undertaking, this hawk has seen better days. Well, they all have seen better days by the time they get to me. Lol.

But I enjoy bringing them back.

IMG_20141216_100226360_HDR_zpsoczsyxqs.j

This is the one I got cooking right now.

Good thread, great cars.

Wish you lived a little closer Shawski. I'd come and help just to learn if nothing else. Very best of luck to you.

This is where we're at on the '60 Lark VI at present. I kinda approached it bassackwards from some respects. We worked around the engine after getting it unstuck. The radiator was bad on it when I was a kid and the gas tank had sat since 1983 with old gas in it. We did a lot of odds and ends first including brake system. Easier to work on some of that stuff with those off it. Once we got everything put back together and test fired the engine we had no compression. Pulled the flat head off and 5 out of 6 exhaust valves stuck open and in rough shape in addition to some rust on top of the block. In retrospect, should've probably started with the engine but parts availability on some of the stuff has been catch as catch can. Located a guy in Mankato who works on flatheads so after the New Year, we'll get that pulled out and gone through as well as putting in a clutch. Rather not have it ditch us out in the weeds someplace when leaf watching or cruising. Have NOS front fenders as well as rocker panels and floorboards from Classic Enterprises on hand so we'll be ready to start on body work after that.(crossing fingers)

full-1225-52153-039.jpg