• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

over under shotgun

I like it for upland especially grouse. One benefit is two different chokes in each barrel. Another can be reliability since there is less mechanically to go wrong. Another is that frankly if you think about your third shot in an auto or pump you usually miss. Another is they look cool, that's obviously important.

The are usually lighter weight than most autos. I guess I've never owned a 12 gauge double gun of any type so maybe I'm referring to 20s and 16's. I have 20's and a 16 gauge which is actually my favorite.

Can anyone tell me the advantage to having an over under vs. A semi auto.

Safety is a good reason to shoot one, broke open it is easily unloaded. Broke open it carries easily over the shoulder or in the crook of your arm from the car to the cover. Broke open it is easily handed over a fence. My 12 yr old son carries an OU 20ga, I like being able to see at a distance the gun broke open when he crosses a creek or a downed log. Admittedly he doesn't need to do that every field but there one's we hunt where he does. For me it's a good gun to practice safe handling habits.

Two thoughts from me -

1- I had one, a "less than premium" brand, but not the cheapest. I would say this, look only at the "better" brands, don't try to skimp on an O/U. And also find one that fits you perfect, not okay, but perfect.

2- I guess my preference would be an auto, after shooting both for some time. Especially with 20g grouse hunting, or even duck hunting, I like the third shoot. And my preference would be a gas operated auto for the light recoil and you are right on on any follow up shot. The 0/U do have a pretty good kick to them, especially with a heavier load.

But I like them, and some day will likely have a 12 Citori, I really like those. Not such a big fan of the Ruger, just doesn't fit me well and it seems nose heavy, but I like the look of it.

Good luck.

Kind of an impulse buy, but I just got the citori 725 feather 12G. Saved up money for a snow blower and got a new shot gun instead! I've Been shooting a Remington 1100 for years, Ive shot a lot of birds on the third and fourth shot even, so I'm kind of nervous I won't like it.. I only hunt pheasants. Check the want ads in a month might be in there

Your OU is better balanced. It is overall shorter. It is easily broken open for safety. It has two chokes and (usually) locks will fire even if one misfires. Points quicker and follows through faster.

Extremely better looking than those clanking banging mechanical contrivances that hold too many shells.

Buy good stuff.

You are better off with thirty year old Browning Superposed than one of these new truck factory double guns. A Citori is okay.

I have to echo the post from Boxmn. Did the same thing and regret it. Over $450 . Not the cheapest. Upgraded to ejectors instead of extractors. Never worked. First shot fired out of the thing and I had to go to the garage and get a screwdriver to extract the shell. After a few months of bickering with employees a letter to company president got me a replacement. Only a waterfowl hunter so I did not want something I take out of a glass case to throw in a wet boat and lean against the gunale {sp) ? Wanted something that can dual as a paddle and a machete. Ha. Just replaced firing pin. No way I have shot a case of shells through it yet. Still use it as my primary gun anyway cause I like the look and it fits well.Salesman tried to talk me out of it.Told me to save my money for something better. I think he knew what he was talking about.

I have a couple O/U and I love them. One is Browning Citori and the other is a Browning Liege. The Liege is a older model and I simply love this gun. Also have another I won a Franchi Instinct Sporting Pheasants Forever engraved model and it is a beautiful gun but a bit on the heavy side.

I don't mind not have the 3rd shot as this Liege fits me so well and is a smooth working gun. This may be one of the best shotguns I have shot for a O/U.

A good gunsmith will fit the gun to you. that IMO is the most important part of a gun weather it be a O/U or a pump, semi or even a single shot.

Most of the advantages have be discussed. A O/u has a better line of sight easier to bring up to your eye because the barrels sit lower in the receiver. Again what ever you choose get it fit to you.

I only hunt pheasants but doubt I will ever carry anything but an O/U. Typically two shots is all you really need (hopefully only one!) and as mentioned previously it carries very well. I run a Browning Citori 16ga (the "gentleman's gauge" wink ) Lightning Feather.

Sometimes I'll grab my 870 for the heck of it and it's like carrying a cinder block compared to the Citori Feather. Regardless, you can pop off two rounds with the O/U just as fast as any semi-auto and not have the weight to lug around all day. Plus it's kinda fun to break it open and catch the empties before they hit the ground. grin

full-593-51979-aromatherapy.jpg

LOVING my new citori, except, sometimes I'll pull up on a bird and can't pull the trigger. It's like the safety is on (I hunt alone and don't have my gun on safe.) Happened twice yesterday. I also fell through the ice up to my stomach crossing a drainage ditch, and gun got wet. Is it possible ice was the problem or maybe it's just new still? I've only fired maybe 10 shots through it... Should I shoot it more, before I go complaining to the store I bought it from? Or could my problem be some sort of manufacturing defect?

FIRST....just because you hunt alone does NOT mean you should walk around without the safety ON on your shotgun.

SECOND...there is something not right with your Citori OR your operation of the Citori.

Take it back to the dealer where you bought it. Talk with someone there about the operation of the gun.

Citori's are good shotguns.

But they should not be operated by idiots.

I bought a used Citori white lightning in 08 and then bought a new Citori 625 feather a couple years ago. Love the feather, handles awesome and I believe I shoot it better than my Gold. Plus it is safer when training dogs, can keep it open until dog gets to where the bird is planted.

I have heard of some folks having issues with Citori's in cold weather. The remedy is having a gunsmith clean out the heavy factory grease and replacing with a lighter weight oil/grease. This fixed the problem for a person I know that he had with his.

I run a Browning Citori 16ga (the "gentleman's gauge" wink ) Lightning Feather.

Didn't know you shot a 16g o/u.Looks like we have at least something in common. You just moved up a few columns in the old spreadsheet grin Do you shoot the purple hulls like I do? ( the basis for my user name)

Typically shoot Fiocchi which are purple. Or are they blue? Now I forget... Maybe the Federals are purple... Have to check tomorrow.

I think the Fiocchi's are blue and the Federals are purple. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. grin

Federals are purple. Fiocci is blue. Remington is black. Midway hulls are green.

I bought a bunch of Federals and reload them for ditch parrots as they can handle a 1.25 load. Remington black hulls for clay birds.

Sorry to hijack, back to the thread.

As to any advantages, it isn't so much that there is an advantage to any as much as they serve different purposes.

O/U are great for trap and pheasants. Not so much for slug hunting and much less popular with Turkey and things like high volume waterfowl in Argentina.

My 8th grade son shot a 96/100 with a Winchester sx3 at the State HS trap qualifier last year and I don't believe an O/U would have gotten him any higher score. They all do their job.

I have a citori 16 gauge. A few times I've accidentally hit the O/U button when taking safety off before shooting and it will not fire. Could be your problem?

Also, after you shoot for a while taking the safety off will become automatic. I don't remember consciously taking my safer off for years bird hunting. It just is taken off to shoot and I also put it back on safe when shot is over without consciously thinking about it. Give it a try for your sake, not preaching at you just a tip.

Smallie...............I'm glad you brought up point of the Citori not firing. I have the same problem periodically and it is very frustrating. The problem presents itself whether it is cold or warm out. The primer will have a "dimple" but the gun does not fire. Also, I've been told that if you do not have the gun tight on your shoulder, the trigger does not reset itself for firing the 2nd shot. This has happened to me also. I love the gun and shoot better with it than any other shotgun I've owned. It is a beautiful grouse gun and is a treat to carry. Very light. When I bought the gun, I made a mistake and did not deep clean the factory grease. I'm going to have a professional do a thorough cleaning. It would be great if this took care of the problem.

I brought mine back to the shop I bought it from and had them check it over. Guy said he cleaned it, and tried it a few times, but couldn't get it to act up. I hunted the rest of the season with out a problem. If I can make it through next season without a problem I'll consider the issue fixed. LOVE the gun tho, i can't imagine ever carrying my old Remington 1100 again.

I guess I should have been more clear on the safety. When my dog gets birdy the safety comes off right away. I don't wait for the bird to flush. Plus I will NEVER hunt a section if someone is already there, and, when i see someone hunting a section I am already on, I leave immediately. So don't worry ufatz we will never be hunting around each other. I like hunting alone and being as stealthy as possible. I don't have to say not one word to my dog. She knows what's up and we are a very good team. Being extremely quite is why (I think) we have good success. So if I'm in the field and shoot my own face off. Then I guess that's my problem, right?

No. It's not your problem. It's a problem for the people who have to clean up the mess. A problem for the rest of us who have to feel bad for a fellow hunter. A problem for other young people who want to hunt but mom and dad say "no way" because of what happened to "that kid last week". A problem because it confirms the anti hunters and anti gun peoples argument that guns are unsafe.

Walking around with your gun OFF safe is an invitation to killing your own dog when you stumble; blowing your foot off or maybe just a few toes.

Safe devices are put on guns to keep them SAFE until the moment you are ready to shoot. Leave it on. You will soon learn you quickly and automatically you slip it off as you raise the gun to shoot.

I do not like to preach......but walking, even a few steps in brush behind your dog, with a gun OFF safe is just not smart.

Don't become a statistic.....become a safer hunter.

Smallie,

don't take this stuff as picking on you or anything negative. It's just a fact that hunting with the safety off until you are ready to pull the trigger is unsafe AND unnecessary. If my 85 year old dad read this he'd chew your butt like he did to me when I was a kid and didn't follow gun safety properly. You may not realize it today or even next year but someday you will come around to the simple fact that you do not take the safety off until you are ready to pull the trigger. End of discussion. We don't know you from Adam and only offer this for your safety and other's safety.

Enjoy your over under. Keep the safety on.