• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SM Lithium ION Auger demo

DTro

wow, an unbiased honest demo. No sponsor logos plastered all over, no staged shots, silly marketing pitch or even the word "pro staff" mentioned. Even so, I'm still skeptical about battery powered augers and probably wouldn't ever buy one without a it including a spare battery. But, I do have to admit it looks promising!

Go for it Harvey Lee, these things are here to stay. You can move without making a mess, with the Ion anyway, because the shaver blades don't throw chips all over the house. You just get a little snowcone to get rid of, and a Slush Copter makes fast work of those. The new ones have reverse though so that gets rid of the snowcone also. Thanks again for all the tips this weekend, it was gangbusters. I sent you a PM but not sure it went through.

I just bought the new Eskimo Propane auger that got its first real test on red last weekend. I love it!It don't turn quite as fast as my old strike master gas, but super smooth and didn't catch on the bottom of any holes drilled. I am going to love drilling in the big house with this thing!

Well done DTRO although I'm not covinced in 24 -36 inches of ice but heah you sold me lad . Just the putting out the extra coin while owning a Nils and Jiffy I can't warrant . The four stroke nonsense is nothing I will buy into because of the smoke handling gas excuse because Amsoil at 100-1 is nothing and should be a non issue . Your electric though I cannot argue with as far as no fumes and its clean . Well done video and I thank you .

TD

The four stroke nonsense is nothing I will buy into because of the smoke handling gas excuse because Amsoil at 100-1 is nothing and should be a non issue .

TD

I have to disagree with this one, I just bought the Strikemaster Honda and sold my Strikemaster Lazer that I used 100:1 AMSoil in. There is an incredible difference in exhaust smell.

I hope the battery technology continues to advance so the hole hoppers of the world can eventually have an electric option. The price of the batteries needs to come down as well!

I was up on Lake Winnipeg last week. This was the first time I really used my new 8" ION. We stayed very mobile on the lake. I think we cut about 40-50 holes through 14-18in of ice before the battery got low. I would get to a spot and drill 5 holes then take the battery off and put it in the new battery pack with handwarmers. It made running and gunning real easy. No starting the auger and letting it warm up. Just put the battery on and press the button.

Now I'm not sure how well it will work in March up there when you will be cutting through about 4-5ft of ice.

AMSoil can be ran at 100:1, they make 100:1 packets that you dump into a gallon of gas. You might want to be careful with an older auger, as I believe if you haven't ever used synthetic the engine may be a little loose and then when you switch to synthetic it lubricates so much better that parts may move a bit too much and cause wear/damage. I am no engine expert though, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I broke my Lazer in on non-synthetic and then switched to AMSoil. I would say it smokes quite a bit less and runs maybe slightly better.