Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fred32

who makes a good ultra light perch rod

7 posts in this topic

looking for a good ultra light perch rod.Anyone use the HT ice blue ultra light? Any other sugestions?

I use the 29 inch medium light action Genz rod for perch. A great rod. Great sensitivity and a fast tip. Also has a strong backbone and can handle a walleye if one happens to swim by.

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 02-24-2003).]

I've got a really nice ultralight rod from Mad Dog lures with a wooden handle and an extremely soft tip that tapers to a surprisingly stiff butt about half way down. I've never seen one that changes action so suddenly. Soft tip great for light bites, stiffer butt allows you to play larger fish with more authority than most ultralights.

I got it on clearance a few years ago at Home of Economy in Grand Forks, N.D. Not sure if Mad Dog still makes them. I still see their lures on shelves.

I like my Frabil Sensive's UL. They have good action but I have had a problem getting a good enough hookset on a walleye if one happens along. They just don't seem to have enough backbone to get the hook completely through their mouth.

[This message has been edited by muchowja (edited 02-24-2003).]

i just bought a croxton pond ice rod. i love it its great. and cheap too. normally 18.99 but got it 40% off.

I haven't used the HT ice blue ultra light, but I own a few of HT's Signature Series rods and I can tell you they have been the best rods for me. The model I have is the SS-27LM. The top 6 inches of the rod is super sensitive, for those light biters, but it also has a nice stiff back bone for solid hook sets. They may be tough to find in stores now but you can mail order them from 877 ice fish(web page). They carry all of HT's products.

[This message has been edited by metrojoe (edited 02-25-2003).]

The more I use the new St.Croix rods the more I like them. The UL is real soft tipped but I like the LT it has more backbone. Pricey though. $30. I believe Gander is clearing out their 1st ice series rods for $14. They would also be good for perch.