• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In Shore Fishing In Florida

Basschaser

I'm going to take a quick trip to Florida in February or early March to try some in shore fishing. Not sure if that is a good time to go but it is my only choice. I am clueless when it comes to fishing down there so I intend on hiring a guide. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as where to go or even better yet, any guides that they can recommend? We do not have a preference on what type of fish we want to catch just looking for some good action.

A few Qs:

1) Is this a fishing specific trip, or are you going for something else and hoping to just have a day on the water?

2) Do you have any tackle you plan to bring for shore fishing?

3) How long is your stay?

4) location matters a lot. Panhandle vs further south on the gulf vs keys vs atlantic side all are quite different, are all on the table or are any off the table? Your more major airports are Tampa, Ft Meyers, Orlando, and Miami.

My only experience is with the Ft Meyers area. There can be great fishing had, but generally my experience with being out in a boat is catching a couple dozen ladyfish and 1-2lb pompano. My best catches have come drowning cut bait from the beach while taking a nap.

Bang for your buck, fishing from the beach on the gulf side with a few heavier spinning reels on long surf casting rods with bait is the way to go. Guides are expensive, and I've never had enough disposable cash to do more than one day on any single vacation. Go to a bait shop and they'll put you on fish, pretty much guaranteed unless the bite is off for everyone.

Thanks mainbutter! Here are the answers to your questions:

1.This is a fishing only trip. I am taking two clients so I want all three of us to fish together out of the guide's boat. The company I work for will be paying for the trip so as long as the guide is in the $500 to $700 per day range I should be okay.

2. We will not be bringing any tackle. We will need to hire a guide that supplies the tackle.

3. We are planning on two full days of fishing.

4. We are open to any location. Just looking to show a customer a good time. I would say numbers of fish would be more important than size.

If you have any other advice I would like to hear it. Thanks.

I cannot offer you any real experience tips but I have a week booked with some fishing included down in the Keys in Islamorada. They call the area the sport fishing capital of the US. You can fly into Miami and it is a short drive from there and you can book guides to take you in the backcountry for Redfish, Snook, Bonefish etc. You can also go offshore for grouper, shark, and whatever. I plan to hire a guide for one day and then rent a boat for several other days to go backcountry.

That is exactly what we are going to do fivebucks. We are going to stay at Bud N Mary's and fish the backcountry of the Everglades for two days. We are going to hire a guide for both days so we don't have to bring any equipment with. Can't wait to get down there!

Guess I might as well get in on this...

My wife and I were thinking about heading to the keys this winter, first time.

We're wide open on timing, although she kinda wants to get out of dodge in late Jan or feb. It's not really a fishing trip, but she's cool with doing some fishing as we really have no agenda, other than hopefully seeing Hemingways place in Key west.

But after doing some research, I'm kind of leaning away from the whole thing for a couple reasons. First, hotel and rental car prices I'm seeing are way high. I know it's high season, but still surprised. Plus, availability is tight, leading me to believe everything will be crowded as well. Not really our scene.

And it seems that fishing wise, a trip in April/May would be a whole lot more productive.

I've got lots of air miles so we can go pretty much anywhere, I just thought FL because I haven't been there and always wanted to see the keys.

I guess what I envision is a little cottage type place with some sand and privacy, and some snook or small tarpon to play with.

Too much to ask in Feb?

We booked a place thru VRBO and they have kayaks, snorkling gear and other things to use as well as dock space. I haven't been to the Keys for 30 years so I wanted to get back. We tried to do it last year but found out the places book pretty far in advance. Traveler, feel free to PM me and I will let you know where we are staying or wait until I get back and I will give you the low down. I think you are right Traveler that the fishing would be better a bit later but we are going mid-Feb cause that's what works. Surprising to me also is the wife just said I might have to go back to AK in the summer cause we are out of salmon laugh

You want a little cabin and some beach. You want some privacy and some fishing too. From beach or with a guide? Look at the camps along the Yucatan south of the giant tourist nightmare that has been created around Playa del Carmen and north.

Not the tiniest bit like it used to be, but a lot more space and a lot more fun than anywhere in SO Florida. You simply CAN'T have a decent tarpon trip out of Key West anymore because if you're not banging into the boat next to you the fish you just hooked leaped and landed in another guys boat!

I might exaggerate some.

But not much.

will do fivebucks. ufatz; my wife wants to see the keys once anyway, so I'm just trying to find the best situation I can...the private little cottage was a long shot:) We've been to Mexico a bunch, not this time.

I think I've found a niche that interests me...sounds like there are cobia in the keys in feb and I've always wanted to try for those, so now I'm looking for some more info on them.

Some ideas to throw your way:

I assume that most on the trip rarely if ever have a chance to fish for stuff in the salt water. This is probably not a group that regularly seeks a trophy tarpon on a fly rod, nor a group that wants to troll all day for a low chance at catching a billfish.

Pick a potential destination. Google some guides and ask questions of the guys who take out clients about what is available in the time period you plan on being there.

If it were me taking midwest guys out, I'd try to find a guide who could wear everyone out catching sharks. The fun you have tangling with a bigger fish just can't be beat, and sharks are usually a good bet for both reliability, numbers, and size. You also usually don't have to travel too far. A morning of catching bait on lighter tackle, putting out some chum and fillets in the tide/current, and waiting for some toothy grey finned fish to show up is pretty routine.

I was just down in the Naples/Marco Island area for a few days, didn't get a chance to fish, but there is a lot of fishing opportunities in that area. We did spend a day just cruising around the canals between Naples, and Marco and I did see a lot of people fishing, and from what I was told there is some great inland fishing in that area. Not sure if that helps you out at all.

Have spent many happy hours fishing those complex waters. Friend used to own the Port Of The Islands Club near Marco. Lots of nice snook and redfish and we would have a blast taking "baby" tarpon on big popping bugs.

Find a guide though-do not go wandering around out there on your own. Were some pretty big toothy guys in there too. Interesting area and every day you spend in that area brings something new.

We fly fishing only people but bait or plug chuckers will certainly catch fish, no problem. And all three of these species are tough and two of them are acrobatic.

Have fun.

Last February I stayed in Cocoa Beach for a week. I have never fished Salt before but rented a kayak and fished the Banana River and had some fun. Lots of Speckled Trout and Pinfish, broke off on a few Reds with my fly rod. We fished from piers in the Indian River and caught Reds, Trout, Jack Crevalle, Pufferfish and Ladyfish. It seemed like anything flashy would get bit, swimming a grub and small jerkbaits were the most productive for me.