• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need some advice

So i normally grind my venny, add seasonings, put in fridge overnite then the next day stuff into casings then smoke. Can i grind, add seasonings, stuff my casings and then put in fridge overnite and then smoke the next day. I am finding its 2 days of cleaning vs just one if you stuff the same day. Any thoughts, my worries would be in casings, the meat might not cure as well.

Can i grind, add seasonings, stuff my casings and then put in fridge overnite and then smoke the next day?

I wouldn't attempt it any other way... Not just for cleaning up once versus twice, that's a nice perk, too, but you will find that stuffing right away is MUCH easier than doing it on day two when the cure has had a chance to make your meat real tacky and hard to work with. As long as you mix it well the first time, your cure is in there doing its job. So, the short answer, after that long babbling answer, is "yes." smile

Another thing I'd offer is that if you are doing a double grind (in essence, grinding chunks of vension and/or pork, then grinding again for a better consistency or a for a finer texture), be sure to add your seasoning/cure in-between the two grinds. You can mix it all in after if you want, but mixing it between grinds one and two will more thoroughly blend your seasonings and your cure. Keeping everything as COLD AS POSSIBLE before grinding is also very helpful. If I am putzing around for even a few minutes doing something inbetween stuffing or grinding, I set my tub of meat outside to stay chilled.