• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ventless propane heater sizing?

Crow Hunter

I have a rustic log cabin which I use for a deer shack, which I heat with a

wood stove. I want to add a vent free propane heater that I can flip on cold mornings to heat the place quicker while I get the wood stove going; I am a pretty sound sleeper so no feeding the wood stove during the night, it can be in the 30's in the cabin in the morning when it is zero outside. Should I get a 10k btu? 20K? The cabin is 200 square feet, with a loft. No roof insulation.

I will want to be able to run it with either a 20 pound or 100 pound lp tank. Thanks for any input.

I got a 25,000BTU heater for my cabin. Cost 750 dollars. It has a

thermostat which allows a very good temperature control. I have an

uninsulated cabin of about the same square footage. You can also get

an estimate of what size heater you need based on the square footage

and ceiling height from your heater dealer. I am real pleased with my heater.

I got a 25,000BTU heater for my cabin. Cost 750 dollars. It has a

thermostat which allows a very good temperature control. I have an

uninsulated cabin of about the same square footage. You can also get

an estimate of what size heater you need based on the square footage

and ceiling height from your heater dealer. I am real pleased with my heater.

$750? shocked

On sale right now at Northen.

full-27051-51283-19857_200x200.jpg

ProCom Vent-Free Dual Fuel Infrared Radiant Wall Heater — 5-Plaque, 30,000 BTU, Model# MD5TPA

Item# 19857

Was $219.99

Sale $199.99

Personally, I would not sleep with one running either, but I know people who do.. Only want it to warm the shack quickly when I get up in the morning.

I think for what you want to do with it, just to get the chill out they should work find. They seem to sell a lot of them and we really don't hear reports of people dropping from using them. I have a 40,000 btu I use in my garage an an and it it has nt efectted mes a bt! laugh

I would go with a 30k btu more is always better than not having enough heat as you can always turn it down. As far as sleeping with it they come with a Oxygen sensor to shut heater down if using o2 up. I have used these heaters in the past in my fish house and work great, but they do create condensation. These heaters are also used by most resort/outfitters on LOTW in there rental houses. Mainly because they are 100% effiant.

For quick heat in the morning I don't see a problem using a couple big buddy heaters with one pound tanks. You don't want a 20lber in the cabin.

If you think you might want to use propane at night and have no electric at the cabin then I'd go with a direct vent version that does not require electricity. These have sealed combustion vented outside.

Do not choose a vented propane heater that doesn't have a sealed combustion chamber.

Anything over 8000 btu and used for heating at night you'll want a 100 lb tank.