• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Jerky?

mrklean

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check often... Better to monitor it rather than step away and come back to crispy jerky.

I flip the jerky pieces over, rotate the trays, move the pieces around the tray.

Meat on the outside ring of my dehydrator cooks faster than the stuff around the inner circle.

Top tray dries faster as thats where the fan is located.

Lots of jostling, but it all cooks evenly when its all done if its watched closely.

my round american harvester dries them even on every tray with no flipping. I have done up to 9 trays. I turn it on and check them after 4 hours, then about every 30 minutes a quick check. I used to have a mr coffee dehydrator about 15 years ago that I had to keep moving stuff around. I threw it in the garbage. smile

Mine is an Open Country brand.

My first one was a Ronco one... Its in the dump next to your first one as well. LOLLL.

It was radiant heat and no fan. It took FOREVER to make stuff. By the time it was done, it was probably full of all kinds of bad toxins. smile

I just let mine go until there are an equal amount of slightly over-dry and under-dry pieces. After that is all goes into the garage to cool off and then into bags. From there, the excess water in the under-dried pieces leeches out into the over-dry piece and everything is pretty much perfect.

I also use the round tip for my jerky shooter. I can do more jerky per drying run that way.

I must confess..... I made 2 lbs of hamburger jerky yesterday. LOLLLL. I had to do it.

I used High Mountain Inferno, and added a quarter cup of teriyaki sauce.

OUTSTANDING.... Yes it turned out good and EG will beat me up for giving him grief about hamburger jerky. HOT and SWEET. My favorite combo.

I have used this combo mainly for whole meat, but I thought I better just try it with the hamburger style. smile

I buy the 96/4 hamburger from target for jerky. very little grease. when done I wrap in paper towels overnight than into vacuum bags.

Same here but with 93/7. I prefer to use lean game, but unless I smoke a deer on the road, looks like I'm stuck with burger for a while frown

I have my first try at this curing in the fridge. I went with the Hi Mountain mesquite.

I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips guys.

I have let both my batches sit around 36 hours instead of 24 have been please with both

I have let both my batches sit around 36 hours instead of 24 have been please with both

I leave my whole meat in the fridge even longer, 3-4 days. Really seems to help the flavor. Not sure if it would make much difference with a burger mix.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I've done a fair number of batches in the oven (no dehydrator), and its darn good stuff.

I too prefer to leave it in the fridge for 4-5 days, I put a new batch in the fridge last night, but I'll try smoke it this time.

I have always done whole muscle jerky, but I'll have to try the ground next time.