• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Jerky?

mrklean

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like whole muscle over ground and freeze all the roasts whole just for a batch of jerky in the deyhrador every few weeks. It's hard to beat the consistency, cost, and convenience of pre made brine mixes. I just add a little of what I like. Usually use half soy in place of water, little liquid smoke, and I crack coarse pepper and/or red pepper on the meat after its first put on the racks. Although you can live without one, an electric slicer really steps up consistency of when they are done. Also, an electric timer is nice to set the time and go to bed. Turn it back on in the morning if a few pcs need another hour.

I haven't experimented with my own recipes, but I have used the premixed hi mountain and Lem seasonings. Both are pretty tasty. I started using a hand crank slicer this year and it really saves time and makes more consistent slices.

I just smoked 20 lbs of deer jerky last weekend. I used LEM seasonings in hickory, mesquite, original, and hot. They are all pretty good.

I like a real deep smokey flavor so I have wood smoking at least 3/4 of the time if not the whole time.

High Mountain Pepper blend. Cut into slices and let it cure for 2 days. Put in smoker for about 2 hours turning them and changing racks at 1 hour. Hickory / Charcoal blend for heat and smoke. You will never touch Jack link again.

I'm a real dummy with butchering and food prep. What part of the deer should I make jerky from?

When you say cure for 2 days what do you mean? What kind of temp for the smoker.

Thanks

with whole meat cure 24 hours, with ground cure 4 hours is good.. more for each does not hurt anything. Hi mountain is at a lot of grocery stores or online. Cut from anyplace you have bigger chunks. most of the whole meat jerky I have done I do from the rear quarters. there are spots from the front if a nice sized critter. But I cut everything I can into steaks most of the time. So that is why i use ground most of the time. I trim almost all of the crud so my burger is nice and red. smile not sure on the smoker temp but the old smoker I did it in years ago was 160. I prefer the dehydrator.

the cure comes with the hi mountain mix (and others) and explains how much to add. always cure in the fridge. smile just pop on here when you get some and are ready to have at it if questions come up. when doing whole meat I lay the met out and sprinkle the dry mix all over, flip and do again till all used up. Then I mix by hand in a big bowl and then I layer it all in a square tupperware container and in the fridge for 24 hours before the dehydrator. With ground you will add about 1/4 cup cold water per pound to the spice and cure mix. Pour that over the meat and mix by hand till really mixed good. Then in the fridge for at least 4 hours. I usually do it overnight and run the jerkys out through the shooter in the morning. I would say try just a pound or 2 your first batch. I have 9 trays for my machine so 4 pounds is my limit.

I prefer whole meat over ground. Jerky by the very nature of it's name should be somewhat tough. Use choice cuts of meat and cut diagonally across the grain in 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick slices.

1/4 C.Worcestershire

1/4 C. Soy sauce

1 tsp. Onion powder

1/2 tsp. Garlic powder

1/2 tsp. Course ground black pepper

1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper

Should be enough to marinade about 1-2 pounds. Vacuum pack and refrigerate at least 24 hours, kneading the bag periodically.

I use a dehydrator set at 145° for about 6 hours. I also use my pepper grinder to add pepper on the outside after putting the meat on the dehydrator trays.

20141115_105110.jpg

Hi-Mountain Pepper blend is probably our favorite, got done butchering deer Friday and just made a batch yesterday. I've tried making my own seasoning mixes before but for jerky the Hi-Mountain always seems to come out better. For reference, started with about 3.5# of meat and finished with about a pound of jerky.

My brother doesn't hunt anymore and gave me his old dehydrator. It's the same as the one we used to have that gave out a couple years ago. Liked it better than using my smoker for jerky.

He also gave me some of his jerky mix -NOT- High Mountain. I used some this weekend and totally wasted 3 lbs of good venison. frown It turned out SO bland and boring that I can hardly eat it. I even let it soak in the solution for 3 days longer than recommended. Lesson learned.

Hi Mountain or bust.