• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early season trip

GSP4ME

I'll be the first to recommend Lake of the Woods. Been doing early ice up there (2-8inches) for close to 20 years and it's always been good fishing. Missed it last year due to twins being born but this year going for sure. Past 3-4 years the fishing early has been the best ever!

In terms of sleepers if you go really early most resorts won't let you stay in there sleepers overnight with shifting ice and such. Been up before resorts let you take atv's out so you have to be shuttled out by the resort. Also 3 years in a row were first group let out privately by Zippel.

50-75 fish per day per person is not uncommon but you will get a lot of little fish...

Red is also a good option for early ice but so can Mill Lacs (there's still eaters left in there?) and Winni.

Been going up to the Ely area in mid-Jan for 5+ years. Group of about 8 of us go and it's the highlight of my season, hands down. It's an experience unlike any other. First time I had gone on a lake and been the only folks fishing was up there. You can also target almost any species of fish. It's my fishing heaven grin