• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dog droppings

Tom7227

my labs use to bring it in the house. i asked the vet about what to do, she has me put a 1/4 can of pumpkin in their food dish once a week. something in the pumpkin turns the nose up to their waste. seems to work.

I had a bischon that liked eating droppings too. We tried many things to stop it. None worked perfect but the most effective was sprinkling meat tenderizer on her food. Apparently it has an enzyme that dogs do not like after they digest it. A friend had a dog that also liked to eat it and he discovered if he did not give his dog any doggie treats it would not be as willing to eat it. Dogs will be dogs.

I've got two that do it. Once one of them threw up the dog [PoorWordUsage], double bonus when cleaning that up in the house...

The best way is the hardest and most impractical especially with snow and that is picking it up so there isn't any to eat. The other we tried is actually using the [PoorWordUsage] as bait. Put some hot red pepper on it and it may deter them from the heat when the get into it. One of our dogs this didn't bother and one of them it did.

Bill Engvall: I took Duke to the vet 'cause he eats his own turds, and I asked the vet, "Isn't that unusual?" and he says, "No, a lot of dogs do that. Just take some of this powder here, sprinkle it on his food and it'll make him stop." I said, "What's it do?" He says, "It makes his turds taste bad."

"I'm sorry, Doc, did you just say 'it will make his turds taste bad'?" Let me tell you something, if you've stooped to eating turds, you've never uttered the phrase, "Oh my God! This is nasty!" smile

Thanks Tom for starting this thread. Had a similar related question. My 8 month old Lab insists on cleaning out the cat litter box. Any suggestions much appreciated. Getting rid of the cat didn't appeal to other family members. wink

One of my dogs will do so as well and he will hit up litter box in garage too. Ticks me off. I had read one time..not sure true..but they may be lacking something in diet during winter? Like a mineral etc that they normally get from grasses, dirt etc. Sounds plausible.

My pudelpointer does the same thing in the winter. Never in the summer. I've asked a couple Vets with no real answer. I've tried the pumpkin and all kinds of other suggestions with no results. I try to pick up all her droppings but in the winter that's hard. Plus I take her out to run most every day and she always finds a pile to try. I just put up with it.

Not sure if this applies but in the last 3 weeks, my sisters 6 year old lab just began eating all of her droppings, but in addition to this she lost about 12 pounds and had an unbelievable appetite, just could never get enough food, yet lost the weight. Finally figured out her pancreas was no longer producing the enzymes needed in digestion, EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency). Essentially whatever she ate passed right through her without her getting any nutrition hence the continuous hunger.

Vet said she was eating her droppings because she could smell the undigested protein, fats, etc in it and it was food to her.

My dog does it, doesn't matter if it's fresh or frozen. I've tried the pumpkin, the meat tenderizer - the only thing that worked for me is the Ol' fashion pick it up right away!

I've heard it's instinctual. Comes from when the Mom cleans up after her pups in the box (or den)