• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rattle wheels and a deaf person

kwiggy

The night bite on Red Lake is so much fun, but I feel bad because my son is deaf and cannot hear the rattle wheels clicking. Does anybody have any cool ideas for our situation? We have tried tying a line to his finger, but that wasn't the best idea for many reasons (thankfully no pike came through).

I would love for him to be able to experience what we all enjoy when the click, click, click of a rattle wheel wakes you up.

Thanks guys

I'm no engineer but if you could rig up a flashing light to a battery and when you hear the clicking you turn the light on and he sees if flashing that would signal him in the same way you and I would by hearing the rattle. If you could rig it up to turn on by itself even better but that's way out of my league to figure out.

Get some sort of easy tripping toggle switch. Position it to where...by attaching something to the rattle reel...would trip it...extending the toggle if needed. Hook the switch into some sort of flashing light...a disco ball would be sweet. Am sure easier said than done, but would think doable. ....could also do the same set up, but find something wireless that vibrates and he could carry that around instead.

For those that are hard sleepers or deaf you can get an alarm clock that has a vibrating pad that tucks under your pillow to wake you up. I would get that vibrating pad and rig up a system to actuate a sensor to trigger that pad to go off when the circuit is tripped.

I fish with a buddy that is deaf (or pretty close to it) when he goes to sleep, and removes his hearing aids, I am soley responsible for the rattle reels... which is kind of nice as I get the fish but 2 yrs ago on REd after the 10-11 time I pulled em up so I could get some sleep.

Last month we met some guys shore fishing that had an electronic sensor on his fishing rods set out that would send a text to his phone if he got a bite... put a cell on vibrate and put it in his pocket or in the pillow. There has got to be technology out there for this. There is an app for everything.

Two Ideas......look for an artic siren that frabill use to sell to put on tipups. rig it so when the line gets pulled the pin comes out of the artic siren and sounds/flashing lights will go off.

other options is the tip up alarms that will send a message to your phone. rig it up on the rattle wheen and have the phone on vibrate. then he can feel the vibrate and know the rattle wheel is going.

Quote:
For those that are hard sleepers or deaf you can get an alarm clock that has a vibrating pad that tucks under your pillow to wake you up. I would get that vibrating pad and rig up a system to actuate a sensor to trigger that pad to go off when the circuit is tripped

I see a opportunity for some app developer. If you used the alarm clock in the link below and create an app that can connect via Bluetooth. Once the line is pulled out it makes contact and then sends the signal via Bluetooth to the cell phone in the docking station on the alarm clock. That would trigger the shaker under the pillow.

Something that would require a little research and development but there's seems to be an app out there for everything, why not this?

Shaker Alarm