• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$700 reel

Crawlerman

Question

I got the new Cabela's catalog the other day; and they have a Shmiano spinning line, the "S" series-- which starts at $500 and tops off around $700. That's insane! Now... unless it contained a GPS unit, solid platnium-gold laced bearings, diamond studded logos, LCD sonar unit, and a computer chip that would automatically adjust retrieve and adjust the retrieve speed, drag settings, and bail operation. And of course there would be no handle... just a button that activates the computer chip and takes over complete control of the reel. Then MAYBE I'd see it worth $700. Having none of these features, it's just plain silly.

11 answers to this question

YIKES!!! Wow thats spendy! I have some Abu Morrum SX's and they retail around $300, fortunatly I have a friend over in Sweden who gets these for me for just over a hundred bucks or I would'nt have them!

Fisky

I saw those reels, too. Here's what ya do with those reels -
Show the picture to your wife after you buy another reel and say "look how much money I saved!"

I don't mind paying for good quality anything when the value is apparent, but for a reel to carry a price tag that high it needs to start it's feature-list with an unconditional lifetime warrantee. Like St. Croix and Gapen rods.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Yeah, hope I never have to buy a reel I need to take out a loan for. I paid over $100 for a reel, just once, and thought I was having a heart attack.

Wonder what Shimano's interest rate would be, and if they'd offer "first time reel-buyers" financing, like on your first house. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-25-2003).]

I think that the most expensive reel I ever bought was about $100. I can't even imagine paying that much for a reel. I suppose if have a $600 rod you got to have a $700 reel to go on it. I wonder if they give a good combo price for that, I might sell my truck and get one! ><>
deadeye

Lots of other good reels out there for less$. Okuma is putting out some nice stuff for the $ as is Pflueger. I do have a lot of Shimano and I really like the Stradic. Of course I got it cheap threw a friend!
I really like the new Abu Garcias for ice fishing.

You know, if a guy's got that kind of money to throw around and wants to throw it around on a reel that he'll hand off to his grandchild, I say good on him.

But there are plenty of good baitcasters out there from $65 to $125 that will last just as long and provide fantastic smooth service the whole time. If I won the Powerball, I'd buy one of those reels, just one, to see how much better it was than the Ambassadeurs I've been using for 20 years. I bet it won't work $625 better!

Nope, just let me keep using those great 5500 and 6500 series, like I have been forever.

Jeeze, I must turning into a fuddy-duddy. grin.gif

Indestructable? Hmm... I have an Abu Garcia Ambasaduer reel that's atleast 20 years old, and works as good as the first day my uncle got it; and I know it got a lot of heavy useage. Not bad considering that particualr reel has been made for over 30 years, and is still one of the cheapest quailty baitcasters on the market ($65-100) Who needs to spend the extra $400-600?