• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Decoys You Carved and Painted

Betterlabs

My next show will be the Alexandria show in March. Then there is the gathering in Perham. I'm not sure the exact dates on either show.

The Difference between custom decoys and store bought is night and day. You can find just about anything you want. If you prefer a "fast" decoy you can find one to fit your desires. If you are after a slow decoy, those are out there too. Super realistic to folk art those shows will have decoys to fit any taste.

My next show will be the Alexandria show in March. Then there is the gathering in Perham. I'm not sure the exact dates on either show.

The Difference between custom decoys and store bought is night and day. You can find just about anything you want. If you prefer a "fast" decoy you can find one to fit your desires. If you are after a slow decoy, those are out there too. Super realistic to folk art those shows will have decoys to fit any taste.

Is there a Little Falls show this year?

First batch of 2015!!!!! 7 completed and 5 in the trash can... not exactly a good start, but back in the game. Too cold to fish today, didn't want to try to set up the shack in the wind. So to the paint booth!!!

Anyways, to the show and tell... grin

A couple mini's

BBB3EF1F-0B13-4B54-9022-9BF8574699AA.jpg

My first attempt at a frog. I am hoping it will flip, it did "hop" real good in my balance tank, so we will see

DFD6B2F8-8352-417C-8AAB-3D2962D1A606.jpg

The next two are a bladed tail design that I tried working with last year and have had good success with

9D455691-ECB5-4BD5-A4A5-226928AEE86B.jpg

19D5298F-5A79-4AE2-94A4-A36B316ECBAF.jpg

A natural pike that also has the bladed tail

A05FC5DD-5B7C-45AC-904F-83DC4875DF89.jpg

and a decoy that was marginal in the tank, so I didn't put much effort into it. Time will tell if it makes it into the sale bin or the trash bin.

8F1DC5B5-AABE-4E62-B781-7D07EA06C170.jpg

I was feeling "frog spots" today. Who knows what the next batch will bring.

I intended to do everything in red and white on this go round... I failed.... Getting back into the swing of things though with only one that hit the burn pile instead of the paint booth.

Smallest one yet in red/white

FF138414-01C5-47FE-A3BA-1826875B6271.jpg

another frog prototype

0791C535-6EBB-4F10-9167-B911E061FE49.jpg

bent body pike and a regular 'ski

8CF0F0E0-7D6B-4BEF-9DD3-51688221A465.jpg

859CD8EB-D7CC-4CD4-8C69-A999AE0BA412.jpg

Bandsaw would be the most important thing that I can think of. Belt sander would be second but not needed I you like filing. And than the most important part lead

Oh one last thing patience not everything will turn out to be a jewel right at the start.

Good luck

I would love to start making my own decoys, but don't have a clue where to begin. Any tips for a rookie?

I'd start with very basic equipment and decide how much you like it before splurging on anything fancy...

--Good carving knife (something that fits well in the hand)

--Sandpaper in various grits (60, 80, 120, 150, 220)

--Fin material (aluminum) and cutting shears

--Melting pot for lead, or you can use a cast iron pot and a blow torch

--Paint, brushes, eye screws

--Wood (I recommend cedar)

Before you worry about the process of weighing, how to make/insert fins, painting, sealing, positioning the eye screw, etc., I would urge you to get a knife and some blocks of wood and just starting carving. Get the hang of creating the bodies and then when you have some forms you think will work, then move onto studying the next step(s).

I will just throw out a budget of $110. If you are willing to invest a little over a hundred bucks, here's where I would spend that to get myself in a position of being able to start and finish decoys:

Carving Knife: You can use a utility knife, a hobby knife, or even a pocket knife. Lots of options, but you'll want something comfortable in the hand with a good grip and a sharp blade. The knife highlighted here is my favorite low $ knife. You might want to add a hobby/razor knife for more detailing, but this one will get you all the way from block to body if you need (and can be used to carve a cavity for lead if you don't have a drill/drill press). $20.00.

Aluminum & Tin Snips: Any hardware store will have sheets of different thickness of aluminum. I think .025 is about right. $20 should get you enough aluminum to start and a pair of cutting shears. Old aluminum flashing or even tin tops from canned goods can work in a pinch. $20.00.

Lead: Old sinkers, tire weights, etc. Some lead sources are better than others (fewer impurities), but all will work. Be sure to melt/use in a ventilated area, and be sure your lead is 100% dry before melting (molten lead + water = disaster). FREE.

Lead pot and Ladle: I'd pony up and get a melting pot and not mess around with a cast iron pan and blow torch. MUCH easier this way. $40.00 for both together.

Wood: if you know of a place to get some cedar scraps (or white pine), you won't have to plunk down any bills here. Otherwise, go to a lumber yard and get some cedar trim, like 1"x2". An 8' board will be under $5 and will be enough for 8-12 decoys. FREE/$5.00

MISC: paint, brushes, eye screws, sand paper. $20.00 will get you enough of the basics to start. For paint, little containers of black, white, red, blue and yellow (learn your color wheel and mix your own variations). Use cheap brushes to start. Sandpaper and eye screws are cheap. Use flat thumb tacks for eyes and paint a pupil on. You can get these basics for about $25.00.

If down the road you find you can't stop yourself from creating more decoys, a poison many of us here have ingested, then I would strongly consider powering up (band saw, belt sander, drill press, air brush, etc.). As you get better at the process, get better equipment.

And of course, any of this stuff you have laying around is going to come off the top of the budget. You could very easily have most/all of this stuff on hand. Be patient, expect to make many mistakes, learn from each mistake, and keep trying. Look online (here and elsewhere) for tips, tricks and ideas. And welcome to your new addiction!

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Didn't see the question before.

Like was said by others, this game can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it.

Cheap: a hand-held coping saw $8, a plank of 1x2 cedar or pine $2-3, a razor knife $5, and misc sandpaper and paint... Let's say $15

A tin can, and some split shot.

You are in the game for less than $40.

Or as DorkFish said: band saw or scroll saw, $100, bench top sander $100, drill press $100, lead pot $50, air brush and compressor ($$$$LOTS$$$$)

Paint (both spray or airbrush) $$$$LOTS MORE $$$$$

I will never recup the money I have invested in equipment to make decoys. For me it's a hobby that keeps the brain active and the gremlins away. I really enjoy making decoys and the art involved in it.

Finished another batch this weekend. I call these ones the orphans. They were inspired after merk gave me one of his delta wing decoys at the Winni gtg in December. I had considered doing it as a stand alone, but then was messing around with a bunch of one off decoys made out of the scrap cuttings left over after the pattern blanks were cut. They made for fun decoys that's for sure.

First "Merks Delta Wing" fighter:

4E093999-EFC8-4CAC-935C-E33CB3532F08.jpg

And the "Grumpy Orphans":

3CD2A16A-7389-4385-B1C3-78E8F931EB49.jpg

764D9A03-705F-4B35-B447-073DAE00E2AC.jpg

56795660-AEDC-4106-88D3-114C5075DB5B.jpg

39677F90-DD94-4D90-BF34-FDEBD782FCE3.jpg

By the nature of being made out of scrap wood they are all on the smaller size, but they all are unique and have a different personality to them. The chrome metallic paint kind of melted when the clear coat went on, so I wont be using that again, but its all good.

Thanks for looking.