• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

phone registration and in woods butchering

We hunt in the 300 zones we always register our deer at the stations plus the dnr researchers ars always their now too always fun getting free patches for helping out with the research and studies they need from our deer. This year we plan to call in and register our deer then butcher them at camp in the woods. This way we wont offend anyone passing by the apartment garage we dont have a house garage to do this at anymore. I understand we cant leave any pieces of deer behind and we dont intend to, just cut up the meat and pack up the waste to toss properly at home. My question is in the 300 zones is this legal? I ask because the 300 zones usualy have the dnr researching wanting to see the deer for studies. Also we are hunting a week straight what if we get one saturday, and need to keep it fresh until we head home in the past we only hunted saturday and sunday. Would dry ice in the stomach keep the deer fresh until we butcher them and head home? Would coverin up the deer with a tarp help keep them cool and fresh too? How long would dry ice last?

thanks in advance

Dry ice will last a day, maybe two in a cooler, less than a day if you just put a block in a carcass.

If temperatures are going to be above 36 for the daily highs, I wouldn't take the risk of leaving a deer unprocessed and exposed to the elements. Cold storage works, but the reason people use shacks is because sunlight adds very significant amounts of heat.. avoid sunlight like a vampire.

Exposure and improper temperature storage ruins meat flavor, I'm pretty picky about that.

One reason some people have had bad opinions about deer meat is because the meat they ate came from a carcass that was dragged through bogs, left to hang with skin on, not kept at cold temperatures, not processed quickly, etc. If you treat the meat well and give it the sense of urgency it deserves, it'll be every bit as delicious as it can possibly be.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Skin it and hang it the first night. Cut it up the next day and store it in a cooler. Temps are looking good for mid 30s for a high, and low 20s at night. Open the cooler as soon as the sun goes down, close it in the morning.

Getting it cool right away is the biggest issue. It's also the easiest to skin when it's still warm.

Depending on where in zone 300 you hunt, you will be unable to do on-line or phone registration. Below is from Page 65 of the regs....

Southeastern Minnesota Surveillance

Due to the discovery of CWD in Northeast Iowa (Allamakee County),

DNR will be conducting surveillance in deer areas 348 and 349 starting with

the opening day of the firearm season. As of publication, the final surveillance

plan has not been finalized. Hunters in southeastern Minnesota will need

to check the DNR HSOforum for complete surveillance information and where

harvested deer can be registered. For permit areas under surveillance,

• The phone and internet registration options will be deactivated on

November 7th and will remain off until sampling goals have been achieved.

Deer must be brought to walk-in registration stations and hunters are

strongly encouraged to allow sampling of their deer. Phone and internet

registration will be turned back on after surveillance goals are met.

• Submission of a sample is voluntary and there are no carcass movement