• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FIRST IMPRESSION: Otter Pro XT1200 Cabin

I was excited to pick up my new portable, the, Otter Pro. Got it home and unboxed. Direction were relatively to follow. I did find I was a screw or two short here and there but not a big problem. The heavier 1200 fabric was a little tough to get on. But after a lite sweat I got it together.

I have a few concerns about durability. I get the need to be light weight but the parts seem very light duty. The cross bar pieces have plastics clips that I can imagine will snap very easily in the cold. Also, the fabric, which is heavy, would be great insulation, However, if it happened to be a drizzly day, I would imagine the weight of the fabric would be too much. I envision a crushed beer can!

It seems that this 2014 model is made much cheaper than I imagined. Can't wait to try it this winter though. If it lasts a couple years, I guess it would be worth it.

I have had the 1200 cabins and Lodges since they came out and not had 1 issue with anything on them. My houses dont get babied and they have held up extremely well. Dont worry about those plastic caps I have never seen one break. As far as anything failing in rain its doubtfull anything is going to happen. I have had my houses in rain, sleet and many snow storms and not had issues. I seriously doubt you will either. Just make sure after a rain that you open your house up when you get home and let it air/dry out. Only issue I had was after a big rain I drove from LOW to Duluth and went to bed when I got home and my house was very stiff to get open the next day. My fault not the houses. I have no doubt you will love your new Otter 1200 and it will be very durable and the quality and durability of the Otter houses are just as good as ever.

If you have any more questions on your Otter 1200 please feel free to PM me and we can discuss them.

Anyone know who has a 1200 lodge in stock between Hinckley and Virginia? I saw L&M had them listed at $799 (yes, a 1200 lodge) on their web site a few weeks ago, which seemed like a darn good price. I see now they don't list any 1200's at all.

Take a look at L&M's shipping cost on flip overs. $50-$75 on small one mans and $175-$200 on the larger ones. That brings their low prices back to reality. I have no idea if they would honor online prices in the store or allow you to do in-store pickup... but I doubt it.

I have had the 1200 cabins and Lodges since they came out and not had 1 issue with anything on them. My houses dont get babied and they have held up extremely well. Dont worry about those plastic caps I have never seen one break. As far as anything failing in rain its doubtfull anything is going to happen. I have had my houses in rain, sleet and many snow storms and not had issues. I seriously doubt you will either. Just make sure after a rain that you open your house up when you get home and let it air/dry out. Only issue I had was after a big rain I drove from LOW to Duluth and went to bed when I got home and my house was very stiff to get open the next day. My fault not the houses. I have no doubt you will love your new Otter 1200 and it will be very durable and the quality and durability of the Otter houses are just as good as ever.

If you have any more questions on your Otter 1200 please feel free to PM me and we can discuss them.

Agree 100% with you Northlander, Otter makes a great product.

I was excited to pick up my new portable, the, Otter Pro. Got it home and unboxed. Direction were relatively to follow. I did find I was a screw or two short here and there but not a big problem. The heavier 1200 fabric was a little tough to get on. But after a lite sweat I got it together.

I have a few concerns about durability. I get the need to be light weight but the parts seem very light duty. The cross bar pieces have plastics clips that I can imagine will snap very easily in the cold. Also, the fabric, which is heavy, would be great insulation, However, if it happened to be a drizzly day, I would imagine the weight of the fabric would be too much. I envision a crushed beer can!

It seems that this 2014 model is made much cheaper than I imagined. Can't wait to try it this winter though. If it lasts a couple years, I guess it would be worth it.

Your review seems very odd to me. For someone to be so concerned about quality and durability, how could you possibly spend $1000 without doing any research? To be that critical On something you chose to purchase is beyond me. Sheesh.

Since when are we not responsible for the purchases we make?

I just got done putting one of these portables together for a friend. Everything fit perfect and from what I could tell just putting it together, a very well built, high quality portable. The canvas cover was snug and tight and it looked great all set up.

I did have a bit of a time getting the pieces that attach to the tub lip for the canvas attached as it was a snug fit but I got it.

The cover seemed like it would be easy to heat as it is not a lightweight unit at all.

The house I put together was a Resort.

I would say a job well done to Otter.

I had an older otter magnum lodge for 10 years and it was great. Went and bought the new insulated lodge last winter and it didn't even last a weekend. Fabric ripped right off the sled where it attaches and the front wouldn't sit flush to the ice. The sled seemed much cheaper than my old one as well. After that the store took it back and was happy to sell me a clam. Not the only one I've heard of that won't sit flush on the ice either.