• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winterizing camper(water line blow out piece)

x1957x

What is the piece called that you use to hook up to your outside water inlet to blow out the waterlines? Anyone got a picture? Can a guy just pour antifreeze into the traps and not have to take the water out also? What about the sewage drain part? My wife used it only twice in the middle of the night. Does a guy have to drain it and rinse it or can he leave it until spring?

Yes, you need to remove all water in your camper lines, toilet, hot water tank every place and put some "pink stuff" antifreeze in the traps and toilet if your still hooked up to the campgrounds system. The waste pipe is self draining and should not have to be touched. I use a fitting like this to blow out the pipes with the air compressor.

full-27051-50532-imagesumow1xan.jpg

Thanks Leech. Do you know the name of the part? It is not staying at campground to. I brought it home but still do I need to drain the little sewage in the tank is the big question? Dont think I have to but want to know, none the less. I know I still have to blow out the waterlines,, water heater etc though right?? Do I need to add anti freeze to in the p-traps?

Thanks Leech. Do you know the name of the part? It is not staying at campground to. I brought it home but still do I need to drain the little sewage in the tank is the big question? Dont think I have to but want to know, none the less. I know I still have to blow out the waterlines,, water heater etc though right?? Do I need to add anti freeze to in the p-traps?

You should be able to get that at FF, Manards, Walmart in their small camper area or a Camper supply

Yes you need to blow everything out that may hold any water. And dump some anti freeze in the P-traps as that is what is pushing out the water that is in them now. Don't forget to dump any gray-black water holding tanks you may have as well. wink

Make sure you use a regulator for your air pressure so you do not damage your campers plumbing.

If you have all of the faucets open to blow the water out the other side I wouldn't think there would be any way you could build up enough pressure to do any damage.

My camper has a bypass through the pump line where I can pump antifreeze through the entire system and also bypass the hot water heater. Uses about a gallon of antifreeze and takes 15 minutes. Just turn on pump, turn on hot/cold for each fixture with enough antifreeze to fill the traps and drain hot water heater and its done.

I got a couple fittings and a quick coupler at the hardware store to attach to the water inlet to blow out the lines. You still need to put some rv antifreeze in the traps. You can also buy a kit to attach to your water pump to run rv anti freeze threw the lines. In fact just winterized my rv today and going into storage tomorrow. Lots of videos on u tube on how to do it correctly. With air I dial it to about 30 PSI.

My camper has a bypass through the pump line where I can pump antifreeze through the entire system and also bypass the hot water heater. Uses about a gallon of antifreeze and takes 15 minutes. Just turn on pump, turn on hot/cold for each fixture with enough antifreeze to fill the traps and drain hot water heater and its done.

That is my process too. And mostly what they do at RV dealers.

My process is the same as Borch's and upnorth's. Since my freshwater tank doesn't completely empty, I add enough antifreeze to make sure the residual water is treated enough to not freeze hard. I use about 4 gallons in my 40 ft camper.

After draining the water heater and the fresh water tank, I put in the antifreeze and pump it through the system. I run the two sinks and shower separately until strong pink fluid is coming out and wash enough down the drain to know any traps are now filled, plus a little in the holding tank.

It might be more than I need to do but I feel safe doing it this way.

I drain the anitfreeze from the fresh tank and water heater in the spring and flush the lines until clear and odorless.

x1957x, yes, it would be best to drain and rinse your black water tank this year rather than let the fluid your wife donated fester. You'll have to do it in the spring anyway but by then you might have some odors you won't like. wink

My RV doesn't have a shut off to the water heater so I ended up blowing out the hot water side with air instead of having to pump 5 plus gallons of RV anti freeze into the system to fill the hot water heater and then threw the lines. Actually blew out all of the lines with air then pumped RV anti freeze threw the cold lines just for added protection. Then added RV anti freeze to all of the sink and tub traps and toilet. Also opened up the drain valves to the fresh water holding tank. If you don't know where these are look under the camper there should be a couple lines or hoses that hang out of the bottom.

For campers left on site at a lake or campground that are hooked up to a water supply and not using the camper pump, put 10 gal R.V. anti freeze in the water holding tank and at the end of the year drain the hot water tank, turn the valvesto by pass the hot tank, turn on the camper pump and turn on the hot and cold faucets, that are as far from the pump as the lines go, till the pink anti freeze comes out, then do the same to the rest of the faucets and toilet. It takes about a gal and a half to do a camper. so you should be good on anyi freeze for a few years.