• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slip-bobber knots

Bobb-o

Question

I have a ton of the plastic tubes left over from slip-bobber stops. I want to save a little money by retying some new stops. Does anyone know what knot i should use? or where i could get instructions online on how to tie this knot?

------------------
"They say tuna is brain food, I guess it's cuz it has so much dolphin in it and you know how smart they are"

9 answers to this question

Bobbo.....I have a tool that's made for making slip bobber knots. It's made by DuBro and can be bought in tackle stores if you look hard enough. It comes with a large spool of knot material that's bright yellow colored. You just slide one of those coffee stirrer straws through the center and tie the knot using the tool. Then snip off the straw with the knot tied onto it. Good luck finding one....BTW....The short pieces of straw that you have can be chucked in the trash.....T

Surface Tension, who moderates the BWCA-Duluth board, buys bobber stop line in a spool like regular fishing line and uses a knot he ties directly to the line. It's cheaper in the end, holds without eventually loosening like the commercial bobber stops, and is a very simple knot (though I can't remember it).

If you post the question with his name on it on that board, I'm sure he'll tell you how. grin.gif

Yep I use the float stop. I really recommend using that knot and doing away with prettied stop knots. or at least learn to tie it. I've done this and sure you have to. You get all rigged up and realize you forgot to put a stop knot on. frown.gif
No problem,simply tie. your Float Stop Knot on. smile.gif
How bout if your jigging suspended crappies. It nice to quickly tie a stop knot to give you a better reference of your jig depth.
You can buy the chartreuse Bobber Stop at Wallmart. Keep it with you along with a finger nail clipper to cut and trim.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-24-2003).]

Lay your fishing line out. Take your stop line and make 2 overhand knots around your fishing line. Take the ends of the stop line and make 3 overhand knots. Pull ends of the stop line tight. Trim ends.

An overhand knot is the first knot you start to tie your shoes with.

fc974dde.jpg

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-24-2003).]

thanks ST, I printed that out and taped it to the top of one of my 3700 boxes so I dont forget it.

------------------
"They say tuna is brain food, I guess it's cuz it has so much dolphin in it and you know how smart they are"

Another knot that I use is the uni knot around your line but with only about 3-5 loops. It depends on the thickness of the bobber line. I have used smaller diameter dacron for this but I think that bobber stop line or fly line backing works better. You only need about a six inch piece to tie one so you shouldn't have to buy a huge spool just for bobbers.