• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Greasing jackshaft bearings

BoxMN

So I cleaned my carbs on xc500 (actually pretty easy now that I have done it once, I need curved pliers and I will be all set next time!) and noticed for the first time, in BIG PRINT, directions above belt to grease the jackshaft with a BIG ARROW pointing to the zerk... says to do it every 1000 miles or before summer or both... doh am I dumb for not seeing this before.

So it was really easy on the Polaris. So on my yamaha venture 600 I looked for a similar thing/zerk and found none. So I did what anybody would do... googled up some info and was led to totallyamaha and into a 4 stroke forum, even though mine is 2002 2 stroke.

There are steps there (but dated back to 2008 so old thread) for greasing the bearings and nice pics. Seems pretty easy, but I haven't done it yet. Do any of you guys do this, and if so have any tips? In a nutshell, here are the directions:

take belt off

take primary off (one 14mm nut) but take care to note washers order, etc. as you remove them

remove a split ring

grease it with low temp grease, using ideally a grease needle to squirt it in there good

replace parts

you are good to go

Some folks said there are two sets of bearings, but I honestly don't know enough about jackshafts etc. and other bearings to know if I should do this, or replace bearings, or wait until she blows and do it then. It runs good, but I have been noticing some kind of "clunking" or sort of plasticky type knocking like it is from the front of the track, usually at low speeds. Maybe track too loose, or maybe the start of needing jackshaft work? I have no idea. Has about 3600 miles.

Thanks for any advice or directions!

So leech, the cable is on the "port" side right? The left side looking forward. My polaris has a zerk there. So you are saying I need to also do this on the right/starboard side as well?

I did not find a zerk on my yamaha, so would I need to pull it apart as the steps above say? I am right at about 3500 on both sleds, so how long do these bearings usually last? And if I grease it properly, should it last MUCH longer? I don't beat on my sleds, but tow a lot with the yamaha.

Thanks!

Can't say on the Yamadogs but my Polaris's had zerks on the end or near the speedo cable RH side and under the belt pulley on the LH side when sitting on the sled.

As far as bearings lasting. That is a hard one. I know guys that never greased them and rode them forever without them going out and others with only a few 1000 on them and were shot. I think how you ride and how much hammering you put on the motor-track wears them out the most. Tork!

Not sure about the newer Yamahas but on the older ones there apparently is no maintenance. A friend with a '92 Phazer decided it was time to replace the jack shaft bearings, so he went to the dealer to buy tem. The dealer asked him if he was having problems and he said no. The dealer td him to leave well enough alone because Yamaha uses sealed bearings and they generally don't have problems with them and are not a regular aintenance item. Bad advice? Just relating what y friend told e.