• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 Minnesota Rooster Reports

A similarly labeled thread seems headed away from how pheasant hunters are actually doing so I will try starting a new thread aimed at hunting reports. Please try to keep on task. smile

I missed opener due to family stuff, but got out both days this weekend. Hit public land in Central Mn and was satisfied with results. We saw 3 and got 2 Saturday plus 4 hens. Sunday saw just 3 hens but quit early due to heat. Birds we got were this year's hatch. The one I missed was older. (And I'm still kicking myself for that miss. I think the dog has forgiven me though.)

Farmers are working hard so I expect corn will be out soon, which should help. Also was surprised how dry things were.

All in all, it was a solid start to my season.

How about you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harm, lots of corn left where I hunted Saturday. Arrived early to hunt public land and had 2 roosters and one hen flush well before shooting hours while we waited. One rooster landed where we could hunt. Hunting time came around my pup pointed his first bird. A nice gaudy rooster which I donated two shots to federal and missed. Major bummer. Flushed one hen and another rooster (out of range). All in all pleased with only 2 hrs of hunting. Heard another rooster all cocky but never flushed him. There are birds around but lots of crops left.

I was out on opening morning in central MN, on one of the few pieces of public land I could find that didnt have an army of hunters already waiting to hunt it. It was a piece that I would normally drive by and apparently other hunters do the same. It had standing corn across the road. I was pleasantly surprised when the dog and I flushed up 11 birds (5 roosters, 6 hens) on that piece in a little over an hour. I was able to drop one and missed another.

This past weekend my son was able to hunt with me and he got his first rooster. We hunted the same piece and another piece nearby and ended up with 2 more. We saw 7 birds total that afternoon (4 roosters, 3 hens). 3 of the four birds we have taken so far have been this years hatch.

So far, this season is shaping up to be much better then last year.

Nels

I'm somewhat happy with the bird numbers. Opening day hunted with 1 friend and our dogs. We flushed 3 hens, and winged 1 rooster that got away. The dogs worked very hard trying to find it and gave up after about 20 minutes. That was our 4th field of the day and with the heat we decided to call it a day. Sunday I went out with just my dog, saw 7 hens and missed 1 rooster. Friday I went with just my dog and limited, but also missed 2 roosters, saw another rooster on our walk back to parking lot after I already limited. Saturday I hunted with my dad and his 2 dogs (1 is aging, and 1 is a pup on his 1st hunt) as well as my dog. We didn't see a single bird all day. I think it was too hot, dry, and lacked a breeze of any kind. If there is cover, water, food , and gravel then there are birds. All my hunting has been on public land within 75 miles or less of the metro. I'm very optimistic for late season hunting!

Made a day trip out to western mn and got my limit at the 2nd place i stopped at. The first spot was a private land spot and all i got up was a really nice 8 pt buck. Then i went to some public land down the road from there and my pointer did a solid point on one and when i went in to get it to flush, come to find out it was a crippled rooster that could barely fly. Well my gsp can fly and caught that bird. Then on the walk back to the truck she did another solid point and i flushed another rooster. So not too bad of a day on public land, I know there were more birds out there but they kept running and it's tough when running solo with 1 dog. Also corn is coming out fast out there and i figure it will be 90% out by next weekend.

Similar results here. Seeing plenty of birds. Last year I had an outstanding year, despite the doom and gloom coming from many. This year is shaping up to be even better. Got my first limit of the season yesterday morning in about an hour, on public land, we also had to search for a piece without several hunters already waiting. Corn is on its way out, this year's late season is shaping up very nicely! I have 6 in my freezer, even though my daughter hunts with me and I can have 2 possession limits, I just took 4 out to make some pheasant over charcoal tonite! Looks like the weather will steer more twards "normal" in the next couple days. Cooler weather and a shot of rain will help the dogs out.

The one thing I've noted in my area so far is a noticeable lack of hens. I've only seen a couple so far.

Good luck all! It's the best time of year!

I was out Tues-Friday. Should've had my limit each day. Dog was not impressed. Ended up with 1 on Tuesday, missed 2 easy shots. 1 on Wednesday, again, missed a couple easy shots. Thursday I finally straightened things out, settled down, and made the adjustment from grouse to pheasant...meaning leading them right off their nose and making the first shot count! Was done by 9:45 on Thursday when I got a double. Friday a buddy met me and we limited out by 12:30. All on public land.

Lots of corn came down this week and bird numbers got better each day, but were nowhere near what they will be once all the corn is down. The dog had a tough time in the heat, but she did a great job finding the birds nonetheless. Wish I had time to make another mid-week trip. Can't stand the crowds that started coming Friday at noon.

I was out on Thursday in the heat. Saw a ton of birds, but unlike ryan_v the majority were hens or possibly young roosters. I had a good shot at about 10 roosters. Lets just say my shooting skills are a little rusty frown I'm headed out Tuesday - Thursday again. Hopefully I can get my act together and put some birds in the freezer.

Made it out for a few hours this afternoon. Saw one and knocked another one down with a half hour left to shoot. It crossed road into private property. The dog gave it her all trying to find it, and I helped as best I could. Came up empty, though, as it got dark. I really really hate that! Also kicked up 1 hen.

Hunted public land the last two days, Sunday by the edge of a picked corn field the first rooster jumped up ten feet away squaking, flew right over my head, turned around - and missed him!!! Made up for it later by picking up a couple of other roosters. Nice cool sunny morning, nice hunt.

Was out yesterday in the light rain, jumped a few hens and a few squabs that could have been roosters, then the sun came out, got to admire a big rainbow off to the east, went from horizon to horizon, beautiful!! Then watching my lab jumping thru the wet grass, rain drops sparkling, it was great!! Never saw a shootable rooster but it was a memorable hunt.

Has anyone been out hunting in the Glencoe/McLeod county area? I hunted out there a couple times last year and saw some birds oh public land. Wondering if anyone has had any success or are at least seeing some birds. Might head out that way next weekend. Thanks.

Was out that way yesterday wildfan. Started on some public ground west of glencoe. Kicked up a rooster and a hen, They both flew over a large crick which I knew was going to be a tough retrieve for my 7 month old lab so I didnt even shoot. Our second piece we hit was by hutch, saw a good number of birds in that one, but again the young pup has a ways to go. Good luck.

My shooting prowess continues! My 6 month old shorthair was going ape. Looking like a seasoned veteran and I knew there was something about to happen. With the gale force winds the crafty rooster flushed well ahead. I fired and drew some feathers. Shot again completely miss. At the same time another rooster got up with one shot left and I missed again. Flushed 9 birds but only 1 hen was real close under 20 yards. The wily ones are outsmarting us right now. Taking last year off killed my shooting skills. Grrrr.

Pup is doing great very impressed.

Buddy and I went exploring Monday into Kandiyohi and Pope counties. Saw only 1 rooster and 1 hen on a dead-calm day. Checked out some Walk-In Areas and were disappointed in their lack of cover. (Plus, they looked like they had been mowed at some point this year. Really?) If you hunt those counties regularly, what have been your reports this season? Thanks in advance.

I've been out 6 times close to the cities and have seen about 1-2 birds per hour of walking. Have only shot 4 birds so far. I didn't see any influx since the corn came out and it's been really dry and windy which hasn't helped the dog with scenting.

I tried a few WIA's and found the land to be marginal at best with no birds seen on either piece.

I plan on hitting Western MN after the deer hunters are done.

Was out west this last weekend, Saturday was brutal with the wind, dogs had trouble scenting and I was wore out from just trying to walk in 30-40 mph wind. Saw between 15-20, 3 roosters with all flushing wild and getting up in that jet stream and gone very fast. Not looking forward to later November when they get into the cattails.Cattails are just brutal for both man and dog.

Buddy and I went exploring Monday into Kandiyohi and Pope counties. Saw only 1 rooster and 1 hen on a dead-calm day. Checked out some Walk-In Areas and were disappointed in their lack of cover. (Plus, they looked like they had been mowed at some point this year. Really?) If you hunt those counties regularly, what have been your reports this season? Thanks in advance.

Its a crapshoot when you get to some areas, they could be hayed or they could have had cows run thru them, all in the name of 'improving habitat'. Mimicking the buffalo!!!! NOT!!! Keep driving, find another area, theres lots in those two counties.

My hunting report in those two counties is that I've been seeing birds everytime out, I've been pleasantly surprised. Have shot a few, should have had more but the jerk behind the trigger has been missing. Hope to rectify that this afternoon.

So what's your latest report? Mine is all hens. Hunted public land Sunday and flushed only a handful of hens in about 3 hours of rain. Saw one other hunter and not a lot of fresh tracks in the slush. Any other reports?