• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 Chev 1500 LT 4 x 4

Don't buy the 5.3 it will start using oil at some point. Just do a quick web search and you will,see this,common problem. Unless,of course you are someone who trades often. Then have at it. During the summer with my previous gmc with this motor the best mpg I ever got was just over 22 on a long trip. Not uncommon for me to get over 20 on the highway. Pulling 19ft boat 12 to 13.

I had a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3 and it never used any oil at 90,000 miles. Have a new 2014 with the 5.3 and on 3 trips to the cabin (200 miles) I got 21.5 mpg..Smoothest riding quietest truck ever.....

Out of the 5 people I know of who have this motor only my Brother inlaw has one that hasn't used oil and he just went over 100,000 miles. Maybe you got lucky like he did. I know it's only 5 people but again a quick search and their are tons of people with this problem.

Yes, there are those who have stated they had had an issue out of how many million motors out there?

There is not a motor out there that has not had an issue or 2.

I goggled this issue with the AFM and there are posts saying it is the worst motor GM has designed and those who say it is one of the best. Typically those who have no issues do not say anything, only that percentage that has had an issue with a bad outcome.

2 here that have posted and they seem to be happy with the motor and its too bad you have experienced this issues. Again, those who have not had any issues typically do not go into those forums and say how great it is, just those who have had an issue.

If I decide to get this truck with this motor and I believe I will, I will then have to work with my dealer or GM to get this resolved. I have had issues before with motors and all but 1 time, GM has taken care of me very well.

Thanks for mentioning the issue you have had as I did ask for any responses in regards to this engine.

The 2014 motors are different, called ecotec. The older 5.3 is the vortec. My 07 uses 1qt every 1000 miles even with the AFM shut off. If I was looking to tow often, I'd give serious consideration to the. 6.2l,rated mpg is one less than 5.3 but with 420 hp and 460 tq.

I have owned numerous diesels by GMAIL and they have all been great but I am not looking for another one mainly due to the fact that diesel prices have been so much higher than gas prices. My son has one and does not use it more than he has too due to the prices so much higher than gas. They may at times do better on fuel under some circumstances but the higher fuel prices negate any possible gains in performance from what I have seen. I knew it was an ecotec but I thought that motor had been around for a bit longer than it has. Good to now know it's not the AFM engine if that many have had the mentioned issues.

They now use a 6.6 duramax.

Honestly, the 5.3 seems to have real good power. Thing is, the transmission does not transfer the power real well. The 6.2 has that same transmission so I am not sure if the 6.2 would be a big upgrade as far as towing goes.

The new chevs ride great, are quiet, and drive like a car, if I was not pulling real often this would be my choice. If I am pulling something often, I am looking at ram or ford, simply because of the transmission chevy uses.

The 2015 with the 6.2l will be using gm's new eight speed tranny, which should improve mpg and power delivery. Both 5.3 and 6.2 are afm motors. Hopefully they don't use oil as the pre 14 vortec engines did. I have been doing a little research as my dad will be ordering a 15 with the 6.2 and 8 speed in feb or March. This looks like a nice combo for towing without stepping up to the diesel.

Yeah, Tom if you get a chevy, you gotta get that 6.2L engine. It's only 1 mpg less than the 5.3 and it's WAY more powerful. If they throw that with the 8 speed tranny that'll make up for half of the difference. I bet it's a wash.

The 6.2 is an amazing motor. I smile from ear to ear every time I tromp on the fun pedal. I have a Yukon Xl denali so its not.a small vehicle but if driven under 75 with no load I get 20mpg. Towing my 19 foot boat I get 17. Averaged 16.8 round trip to Sioux narrows the last couple years.

With the 6 spd tranny you have to be careful which rear end is in there. You can get by with a higher ratio like 3.42 but I recommend going lower if towing often . This is where an 8 spd will be very helpful. They will likely have a very low ratio but with the 8 SPD's the final ratio will allow great mpg.

They now use a 6.6 duramax.

Honestly, the 5.3 seems to have real good power. Thing is, the transmission does not transfer the power real well. The 6.2 has that same transmission so I am not sure if the 6.2 would be a big upgrade as far as towing goes.

The new chevs ride great, are quiet, and drive like a car, if I was not pulling real often this would be my choice. If I am pulling something often, I am looking at ram or ford, simply because of the transmission chevy uses.

I looked at and drove the new Fords and from what I heard, the ecoboost motor or the 5.0 is not very good at all on fuel mileage when towing. This came from a few others and the Ford sales rep said the Ford is not that great for towing with the eco motor and that the 5.0 would give me maybe another 1 mpg. Not all that sure on the twin turbo's unless I could get a lifetime warranty also.

I looked at and drove the new Fords and from what I heard, the ecoboost motor or the 5.0 is not very good at all on fuel mileage when towing. This came from a few others and the Ford sales rep said the Ford is not that great for towing with the eco motor and that the 5.0 would give me maybe another 1 mpg. Not all that sure on the twin turbo's unless I could get a lifetime warranty also.

Harvey, don't get the ecoboost guys going!!! :-)

My trip to Canada the other boat was pulled by a new F150 with ecoboost. His boat is lighter than mine and I got over 2MPG better mileage than he did. I followed him the whole way so we had the same drive.

He does get over 20 MPG not towing anything though so that is good.

I agree with the ecoboost on non towing mileage, very good. As I said though the towing mileage is not the best. Guess it all depends on how much towing one does and how you drive any truck. Really no truck out there that the towing mileage is that great over plain driving mpg. Surprised the salesman even sai what he did to me but I guess he was just trying to b honest.

Have a 2003 with a 5.3 vortec that has never used a drop of oil. Two things on the Chevy gasoline engines straight from my mechanic. First, your chance of getting a motor that has issues (like burns oil) is much higher if assembed in Mexico. Stick with US or Canada assembled vehicles for better odds. More importantly, first oil change at 300-400 miles, and run only synthethic thereafter, changing filter and oil every 3500-4000 miles.

These engines will work harder and at higher rpms when towing than other engines so they need to be broken in correctly and given synthetic to avoid excess wear. I have 195K and expect to get over 300K without any problems or oil burining issues. Still pulls like the day I brought it home.

The truck I have now Montana has a 5.3 and it is closing in on a quarter million miles and to this day, that motor does not use any oil and has never even had a valve cover off.

I change oil, run synthetic and change plugs and air filter and any other needed service changes. It has treated me as well as any motor could.

From all my research, the oil consumption issues started with the Active Fuel Management motors starting in 2007. My dad has had 5.3 motors in 99, 01,03 and 06. No oil issues because no afm. My 07, first year of afm loves oil. Yes, clean synthetic oil every 7-8000 miles. Truck has 70000 on it now. Truck and engine have had very little trouble except the oil consumption.would buy another GM in a minute, just hope they have this oil issue fixed on new models with afm.

When GMC goes back to motors without AFM or gets an ecoboost I'll be owning one. The decked out Sierra I had though could have used a better looking interior and a little padding one the arm rest on the door. I'd for sure have to go with the High Country package. I'm not sure why the worry on turbos.....they have been around forever. I think Harvey just doesn't want his Ford buddies getting the last laugh after he's been playing the Chevy Parady on youtube for them all the time grin. Yeah I'm talking from experience as that was a tough pill to swallow. Hahahahaha

There have been well documented turbo issues with the eco boost relating to moisture problems and shutting down the engine. There is/was a class action lawsuit in fact. In reality the 5.0 is a much better purchasing decision than the eco boost due to price and there really isn't much of an advantage with mileage or performance.

There have been well documented turbo issues with the eco boost relating to moisture problems and shutting down the engine. There is/was a class action lawsuit in fact. In reality the 5.0 is a much better purchasing decision than the eco boost due to price and there really isn't much of an advantage with mileage or performance.

That was a CAC issue as in it was working to well. Has nothing to do with the turbos being bad or a cause to believe that it will lead to turbo repairs in the future. But they are another part that may break down in the future and it looks like Harvey tends to buy and put a bunch of miles on and own for a long time so it would be something to consider. As far as performance the torque curve speaks for itself. Not much of an advantage hahahahaha thanks for the laugh.