Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deemo

Favorite Jig Rod

18 posts in this topic

I will be looking for a new rod this spring and wanted to see what everyones favorite rod was. This would be for jigging and lindy riggin. Anything go's but try to include power and such...(med. med.light. ect.) also actions if you remember them.(fast,mod.)

I purchased a fenwick 7ft eagle GT last spring but i wouldnt recommend it.. its ok but I'm not too impressed with it. my 2cents
Any ideas?

My personal favorite rod/reel combo for jigging and lindy rigging is a one piece 6'6" Medium weight Fast action Gander Mountain Guide Series with a Mitchell 300X reel. Most of the major sporting goods stores sell their own guide series rods that are really nice and a good all around value. I think i paid aboot $65 for the rod and $40 for the reel. I also use rapala finesse line for jigging, cuz a rod is only as good as the line that is on the reel.

------------------
"They say tuna is brain food, I guess it's cuz it has so much dolphin in it and you know how smart they are"

[This message has been edited by Bobb-o (edited 02-24-2003).]

I use 7ft. Cabela's XML-Series, 703's.

These rods are the same blank as the Loomis top-of-the-line at less than 1/2 the price.

Med-action, 1/8 to 5/8 oz. lures. I use 4, 6 and 8lb. test line depending on my conditions. These rods are the strongest, most sensitive I've used and they have a 100% Guarantee.

I horsed a 60lb. Sturgeon in on the Rainy River, 6lb. test in 20 minutes. I put a lot of pressure in that rod and it was awesome.

Just keep in mind that if you are looking for strength and sensitivity you really only need to go up to about 44 Million Mod. Graphite--anything rated higher is really expensive and mostly "hype".

------------------
Chells

I have a couple of the Shimano V-Rod VCT-70MH its a 7-0 medium/heavy, fast tip 10-17 l line rated 1/2 to 1 oz, the reason I didn't go longer was I perfer to not have a teliscoping rod!.. that seems to add a lot of weight!... weight= fatigue in a long days flipping!

You might want to try one of the avid series 7' fast action AS70mlf. I have just gotten one and it seems to be a nice action. I have the legend elite series that is simular and I love it but I dont think you have to go that expensive toget a good quality rod. I think its also hard to put togather a rod for jigging and rigging. I look for differnt things in both circumstances but I think this rod would preform well for both.
good luck
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail boser@grandrapidsmn.com

This isn't necessarily my favorite but for your needs, I would go with a 6'6" medium light st. croix avid or a 6'6" medium st. croix premier.

Sounds good on all but Im kinda surprised know one mentioned G.loomis. A friend of mine has one and u would swear it does everything but wash the dishes. He said if a fish looks at the bait you feel it. shocked.gif

Deemo,

I mentioned that the Cabela's XML Series rods are the same blanks as the Loomis at less than half the cost.

Call Cabela's and ask for a product expert...

------------------
Chells

I used baitcasters for Lindy riggin last year and they worked great. Easy to hold and let line out. I picked up a medium light action Fenwick open face rod that I like as well. Pretty short rod (6 feet) but has great sensitivity and fun little stick to play with.

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

St Croix Avid 6'3" Medium action x-fast tip for jigging, and an 8' medium action fast tip one piece Avid for rigging. If you are going to try to do both with a single rod you should stick with the 6'6" models.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 02-25-2003).]

Sure I'll do that. But the one you mentioned is a two piece I would prefer a one piece they do have one that is in the weight and action im looking for but its 6.5ft. I might have to head up to GF cabellas and check it out.

I'f you want a medium priced rod i use a Berkly series 1. I can feel a walleye fart on a #3 rap in 20' of water.

The best rods I have used have been Hagen's brand name rods. They make their rods from St.Croix blanks! They are super senesitive and rigged with fireline its even better! Id say my favorite size is 6'6" medium action. They also make rods for Scheels All-Sports the only difference is the eye-lets; they are not fugi. These rods cost around $100 but are well worth the money.

------------------
Fish, Fish, and Fish some more! ;D

oops wrong subject

[This message has been edited by CNY Tim (edited 02-27-2003).]

Vertical jiggin , St. Croix 5'6" Premier Medium action.
Tossing small cranks/plastics St. Croix 6'6" Avid ML action.

You don't need to spend a pile of $ on a rod. Weather you do or don't is up to you and your budget. Either way the fish will never know the difference ! LOL

[This message has been edited by GEEMAN (edited 02-27-2003).]

As far as the Hagen rods are concerned, when I purchased mine they were using G Loomis blanks, I have a 9 ft. 8 weight fly rod from them for tossing bass bugs and crappie streamers around and it's a dream to cast! Maybe they switched to St. Croix in the last couple years, correct me if I'm wrong.
Selmer

Selmer, You are exactly right.
They use to use G-Loomis rod blanks but I think 2 years ago they switched to St.Croix. But either way they are still very sensitive.
I also have a fly rod that I got from them; it is a 9ft 5-6wt Big Horn series. I think that one is a G-loomis blank. I primarly use it for panfishing, its a nice rod.

------------------
Fish, Fish, and Fish some more! ;D

How about Gapen rods? They seem like really good rods. All the bells and a real great price. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.