• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reynaud's Phenomenon

icehole10

I'm putting this in the open water thread, because this is what keeps me from fishing this time of year. For those that don't know what it is, look it up, but In a nut shell it is a loss of blood flow to your fingers brought on by cool temps, and wet hands makes it worse. It can be extremely painful when your fingers warm up enough to get the blood flowing back to them. My question is, does anyone have a suggestion on a good pair of gloves that will still allow a guy to fish (cast, jig, and reel). I have tried a few different kinds, but the cheap ones aren't cutting it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Would something like they use in hospitals like those compression socks/hose, only for hands/arms underneath a good pair of gloves work?

If its bloodflow or circulation related i would think so. I cannot say I have seen anything like that, but I know those socks are used to avoid clots and other blood flow issues, would think the same premise would work here???

I have the same issue with cold hands. I fish until ice up. Here are some things that might help.

1. Rag wool convertible mittens/gloves with Thinsulate. These are what I use. They can be bought at most sporting goods stores for about $15. I keep three or four pair in the boat. I always have one dry pair for when I am driving to different spots. And go through the other pairs as they get increasingly wet. Wool retains heat when the glove gets wet. A friend that guides until ice up sold me on these.

2. While ice fishing, I will put a wrist band on each wrist and place a hand warmer between the wrist band and my skin on the inside of my wrist. Works well.

3. WSI HEATR wrist warmers. Got them at the ice fishing show two years ago. Won't leave home without them. They work well and help to keep hands warm. Since getting these I've relied much less on hand warmers and wrist bands. Last year I wore these and rag wool gloves and casted muskie baits in temps below 20 degrees. I was able to fish the entire day.

4. I have not purchased a pair, but hear good things about Kast Steelhead gloves for cold water fishing. Thin, well insulated and don't absorb water. I might get some soon. They are $80.

Thanks for the input guys! Midlake- I checked out these Kast steelhead gloves on their web5ite, definitely going to invest in a pair of those, I just wish I could find a local dealer where a guy could try them on. The wristband thing with the hand warmers, is also a good idea. I also looked into the compression sleeves that start at your shoulders and go down to your wrist, that may help to. This gives me a couple of things to try anyway, Thanks again!!

I would talk with your Dr and get started on Amlodipine or Nifedipine if you aren't already taking one or the other. They are blood pressure meds that are used in the treatment of Reynauds, that along with a good pair of gloves should have you back on the water

I have had this happen 10-20 times too, where your finger(s) turn competely white.

I have a pair of Cabelas guidewear fishing glomitts. Lots of dexterity for times when you are re-tieing, hooking a minnow, or changing lures. They are neoprene so they can get wet (though will not be very warm then). Super easy to switch from fingerless gloves to mitten, and you can interchange the thumb tip too. Put a hand warmer inside your palm and my hands stay warm down to 10F or so.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Guidewear-reg-Fishing-Glomitts/1615617.uts

My eldest son was diagnosed with this. As I understand it, once your extremities begin to get cold you're pretty much done for. The small muscle bundles in the fingers and toes begin rapidly contracting, and once chilled, they take 10 times longer to warm up then someone without this syndrome.

Our physicians explained that it is typically an inherited condition, and as such, it explained why, for so many years, my wife's hands and feet would get cold so easily, and take forever to warm back up.

There are medications recommended for this that evidently can help a lot, but we haven't tried them. I think it was wookie that mentioned a few?

Anyway, I can't recommend any particular gloves or boots. We simply buy VERY good quality. The very best we can afford, and that seems to make a big difference. My wife and son are both able to drive snowmobiles for hours in any conditions as long as they keep the best gloves on their hands, and boots/socks on their feet.

An old standard that is pretty tough to beat is a HEAVY wool mitten, wrist length, inside a heavy leather chopper. Obviously you have to take these off for short periods of time to do fine motor skill stuff with your fingers, and of course they can't get wet, but they definitely work to keep your hands and fingers warm.

I can't say enough about smart wool socks as well. They are expensive, especially the REALLY expensive ones, but they work miracles for keeping your feet warm and dry.

Check into the pharmaceutical meds, and all the best of luck to ya'! It's a real bummer to have this syndrome and still try and enjoy the great outdoors when it's cold outside. My son plans to move south of the snow belt as soon as he can.

Once again, thank for the ideas. I may have to look into medication, but if its something that you would have to take daily, year round, I think I would pass, as this really is something that only effects me this time of year. I'm going try a few of the suggested items, and we'll see how it goes. I will report back!

Midlake- I checked out these Kast steelhead gloves on their web5ite, definitely going to invest in a pair of those

icehole10:

I am now $80.00 lighter. I should have the gloves early next week. I don't foresee the need for gloves for another couple weeks. I will report once the weather gets nasty.

As a pharmacist, I can vouch for the aformentioned medication therpaies. Calcium channel blockers like amlodipine and nifedipine can help prevent the vasospasms that lead to issues with Raynaud. As mentioned by someone else, there are medications that you may be taking that could be worsening the condition. Anything that causes constriction of the blood vessels could worsen it. Some things you MIGHT be using could include caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, energy drinks), nicotine (smoking), or decongestants used for cold symptoms (Sudafed). Also, it is usually more common in women and if it sets in later in life in a male, keep in mind it could be a sign of something else going on, like an autoimmune disorder.

I have actually had this since I was around the age of 15, or at least that's the first time I noticed it. My last three fingers on each hand will turn completely white, and have no feeling in them, and I have never experienced this with my toes. I am now 41 years old, and it seems like it gets a little worse each year.. I spoke to my Dr. about probably 12-15yrs ago, and at that time, didn't seem there was much you could to for it, other than keep them covered up. He actually attributed it to the use of impact tools and air hammers at work (heavy vibrations), but I had it before I ever started use them. I suppose it could have made it worse. I probably should bring it up to him again, as i'm sure there are new therapies that could help. This picture is not of my hand, but this is exactly what mine look like. Just showing for an example.

full-14614-50130-images.jpg

Wow! I don't think that's an example of Reynaud's Syndrome.

I certainly could be wrong, but I think Reynauds affects all the digits. Not just a select few?

I would definitely encourage you to consult a physician about this. There are very specific, fairly simple procedures they can do to determine a fairly exact diagnosis. You may have another circulatory issue other then Raynauds.

Wow! I don't think that's an example of Reynaud's Syndrome.

I certainly could be wrong, but I think Reynauds affects all the digits. Not just a select few?

I would definitely encourage you to consult a physician about this. There are very specific, fairly simple procedures they can do to determine a fairly exact diagnosis. You may have another circulatory issue other then Raynauds.

That's what I was told it is, so I guess that's what I've called it. Maybe a misdiagnosis? Google Reynauds disease or syndrome, and look at the images. lots of pics of it, some are just a single finger, some are all. Who knows I may have a good pic of mine before the weekend is through! smile

I'm no expert either, but that picture you posted does look like Raynauds to me. Nicely defined border of the affected areas, which is pretty characteristic of Raynauds. Just keep those fingers warm and dry at all times and cut out the nicotine and caffeine and you shouldnt have as many issues.

The picture looks just the same as my issue . I get it on a few fingers usually and not the whole hand .It seems to be getting worse as I age and can sometimes show up during summer.I have never been officially diagnosed but I self diagnosed it as Reynaulds and told my Dr about it , he agreed and was not concerned . Seems the trick is to be proactive and keep hands warm at all times and not wait and react when they turn white.

Thanks for bringing the issue up and lets try to keep this thread going as we all may learn helpful tips

I have the same condition that only affects the pinky finger on my left hand. I never had a problem until I was about 50 years old. Doctor told me it isn't that uncommon and could be a result of frostbite that most of us outdoors types experience from time to time. Gloves of various types help, but if it gets started about the only thing I can do to get rid of it is to apply an exterior heat source or get out of the cold. I bought a small battery operated WamAware heating pad which works pretty good. Sells for about $30. It's compact and runs off 3 batteries. Takes about 10 minutes to get the circulation back and I good to go for awhile. There are also heated glove available, but those are very expensive.

I have that problem also, but mostly caused from frost bite. I found dress gloves work the best for me as long as i keep them dry. Hand warmers in coat pockets help too. My wife also suggest going to a massage therapist( a GOOD ONE!!). They can do wonders for circulation!

For me to be outside in the very cold; i have to wear liners, inside gloves, inside fleece lined mitts. This is only good 30 - 40 min. when temps are in the teens. Good luck!!