• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm voting yes. Is it perfect? No. But the way I see it, $150 million per year to safeguard habitat and our hunting tradition is a bargain. Plus that's a mere pittance compared to the remaining $2.9 BILLION left over. There's plenty of oil tax revenue to go around. I think North Dakota's wild places deserves a fair share.

I am not from North Dakota but am rooting for it. I feel it would be a win for the outdoors. Had a hard time believing that there is that much opposition to it. Seems like there is a real fear of government owned land there. I will say that I am happy that we have as much public ground as we do in Minnesota, wish we had twice as much. Think that there could be a lot of good things done with the money.

I live in MN but ND is my home and I really hope this fails. Everyone supporting this (mostly those in the RRV) has been sold a lie that this is the answer to their problems accessing land but it will do nothing but exacerbate it, with out of state special interest groups in complete control...and that should raise a red flag for anyone on this...why so much out of state money pouring in to support this measure?

On its face it sounds like a good deal, and that's how they're selling it by preying on people's emotions, but when you peel back the layers it is not pretty once you realize the consequences if this passes. The language is far too loose.

There are already mechanisms in place to do much of what this measure proposes and could be made to be even more effective if some tweaks are made to bump up the dollars placed into this already existing fund. Putting a pot of money on the table surrounded by special interest groups and large out of state corporations is asking for nothing but trouble.

Once the land grab starts it ain't coming back, boys. Private land ownership is a very special opportunity we have in this country and something we should cherish and protect at every chance we get, and we have that chance by voting 'no' next month. I'd really think twice about it and put your selfish wants aside before making that vote.

Please, vote no.

I think the whole land-grab argument is nothing but fear mongering. Please, tell me how out-of-state nonprofits are going to be able to utilize these funds to gobble up tracts of ag. land in a state with one of the strictest land acquisition laws in the lower 48??

Please tell me how they are going to spend $150M a year? It ain't by building duck houses.

Read the full text of the measure and tell me you are comfortable with the extremely loose language as it is written.

And sorry, the 'Is it perfect, no' comment doesn't pass the smell test. We heard the same thing in MN and ended up with a dumpster fire and a lot of buyers remorse.

Spending money just because it's there also doesn't pass the smell test. In fact, it's just plain foolish.

There is a reason this measure is being pushed by out of state special interests and if you think they are doing it for the benefit of North Dakotans you are extremely naive.

It's also be largely opposed by out-of-state special interests. Pot, meet kettle.

They don't HAVE to spend $150 million a year! It needs to be ALLOCATED. Huge difference.

Look, I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me. I just hope, for the tradition of hunting and the wild places in our state, that something is done sooner than later. I see the writing on the wall (heck, check out my corner of the state sometime and let me know if you'd be willing to spend dollars to stay here and hunt for a week. Ha!) I moved to North Dakota for the hunting and wide-open spaces. I hope my son gets to experience that some day, too. To me, Measure 5 could help assure that. I'm voting for my son, and other's like him who may never have the chances I've had in my lifetime.

I could see one very compelling reason for "out of state" interests to push for something like this. What goes on within a state's "boundaries" can have impacts outside those boundaries.

So, take waterfowl for example. If ND (hypothetically) allocates dollars to improve nesting habitat and set aside PERMANENT land for the betterment or restoration of wetlands this will not just help ND. It will help the states to the South as well as the ducks migrate.

Water quality. Where does the Missouri river flow? It doesnt stop and start at the ND borders. You reduce nutrient loading and it will have a profound effect downstream.

The cheapest way to fix a problem, any problem is at its source.

You cannot create more wildlife by looking at where they spend their winters when reproduction is the problem.

I wish more states had the "problem" ND has with their surplus. Perhaps they should do a revenue sharing with the rest of the states like is done in the NBA because we dont want one state making too much money now do we? LOL

First of all no conservation group is going out looking to buy prime ag land. Lots of good things could be done with the money, make programs that pay people not to put sensitive land in production. Protect/replace some of the tree shelterbelts, leave some overgrown draws and wetlands. I think a section with a small percentage of the right habitat can be way more productive than a high percentage of poor habitat. Also I am a huge supporter of public lands, again not prime ag land.

First of all no conservation group is going out looking to buy prime ag land.

Would you please direct us to the provision in the Measure that states this is true?

There are too many open ended items in this proposal for anyone to be comfortable with to cast a yes vote, and those in favor are clearly doing so based on emotion, not logic.

When they trot out the ol standby of 'it's for the kids' you know something is rotten in Denmark. Talk about fear mongering...

If you moved to ND for the hunting and wide open spaces then why did you move to Fargo?

If you're voting for your son, then vote No. He'll thank you later.

What, Fargo isn't North Dakota enough?? I get all the benefits of living here and we're only three hours from the Twin Cities where a majority of our extended family lives. Do I get more pull if I move closer to Bismarck? Is that how this stuff works?

Ok... I get that there are strong opinions on this.. but frankly... let's keep this on topic and off character attacks.

Thanks guys

marine_man

Very good point. I know its hard because when it comes to things we all care about people get passionate one way or another.

I know what LMIT is getting at. Nothing is guaranteed and its not. His point I think is more along the lines of fool me once... you know the drill. Been there done that and not falling for it again.

Hopefully whatever is decided it makes for better opportunity. Whether that is passing this measure or voting it down to have it reworked.

We can all agree something needs to happen. The devil is in the details.

Yes, you are.

oh puhleese limit. I can respect your opinion on this an hesitation around some legislation that has loopholes but you yourself have said you live in mn so HOW do you have a vote or skin in this game? In this case your voice counts exactly as much as mine which is zero as a mn resident.

I do hope to make it to ND pheasant hunting later this year since mn cannot seem to figure out how to create what is needed.