• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinning reel line?

bassfshin24

Hey guys. i'm purchasing 2 Revo SX spinning reels and was wondering if any of you guys rig you spinning reels with braid? I've been hearing a lot of pro's are starting to put braid and most of their spinning gear and then having a fluoro leader. Do any of you guys do this. If so what lbs braid and fluoro do you use? Probably going to be using it for jigworm and other finesse presentations. What size Fluoro leader do you use?

Hey guys. i'm purchasing 2 Revo SX spinning reels and was wondering if any of you guys rig you spinning reels with braid? I've been hearing a lot of pro's are starting to put braid and most of their spinning gear and then having a fluoro leader. Do any of you guys do this. If so what lbs braid and fluoro do you use? Probably going to be using it for jigworm and other finesse presentations. What size Fluoro leader do you use?

I have braid on all my reels, 10 to 20 lb, leader depends on what I am doing. Wire if pike are in vicinity.

I just went over to all braid this year on my spinning gear and it is awesome. I use strictly 10lb PP, just havent found anything else i like better. I run either an 8 or 10lb floro leader, have the knot between the reel and first guide while the lure is in position to cast. That reduces the slap it will have when casting and make it less prone to breaking. Honestly the only time i have broken at the knot is when i am purposely trying to break my line if im stuck on a rock/wood/etc. I will honestly never go back to having either straight mono or floro on spinning gear. Much better hookup ratio, and seems like i lost a lot less fish this year without the extra stretch in there, or at least thats how my mind thinks (whatever gives you confidence).

I have 7 spinning rods and they all have 15-20 lb braid with 8-12lb fluro leaders depending on what I am using it for and what Lake I am fishing. I went through a phase where I only had 1 or 2 rods with braid because I wasn't crazy about the feel. Now I can't stand to use a rod that isn't braid to fluro. Ive tried every knot there is and the Alberto knot seems to be the best for me.

With how bad the zebras are getting on some lakes (Tonka especially) braid is needed.

Drop shot rods - 15lb braid - 10-12lb fluro leader

Jig worm rod - 20lb braid - 12-15lb fluro leader

I have also converted all but one rod to braid or nanofil. I use flouro or mono leaders. Use the modified albright AKA alberto knot. I make leader upto 10 ft and am able to reel them onto the reel and cast with no problems. That does not work with uni to uni. I do not see myself ever going back to mono. Some of my reels have had the same braid for 5 seasons I just have alot of old backing and when it looked to old I let it out and reversed it the new end is now in use. Very economical if you use backing.

Mwal

Im always torn on this too, have used recently been using all flouro (gamma) and copolymer(mccoy mean green), but am planning on switching to braid with flouro leaded, will more than likely buy this braid for next season at this point.

full-35223-49939-image.jpg

I only use braid on a spinning reel for applications that maintain pretty consistent tension on the line. It floats, and in windy/current conditions, it bows out, reducing the direct tansfer of energy from the lure to the rod blank.

For any kind of "feel" fishing like jig, worm, wacky, Texas, etc, I prefer flouro and a spinning reel. Flouro sinks, gets me in the strike zone quicker, and draws the straightest line of tension between lure and rod-tip.

I have braid on my lindy-rig spinning reel for walleye, and on all my baitcaster cranking/spinner-bait rods. In those applications, the tension is automatic, and the bouyancy of the line is less relevant.

That's just my preference. I know a lot of guys are loving braid with flouro leader. I'm just expressing my preference and the reasons for it.

I like to use a blood knot for the leader because it's narrow and quick to tie on. I buy the cheapest lines I can find, which I don't know what difference it really makes, but anytime my fluoro leader gets any sort of abrasion I retie. I also am very careful tying knots with fluoro because I think any friction on that stuff and it breaks easily so it needs to be wetted.

I use 2/10 PP on several rods.( for jigs and anything I need feeling for) I do use mono on the pan fish rod, but this is normally rigged with a float.

Remember that braid needs to be stretched/relaxed every once in a while, so you don't have as big of a problem with wind knots.