• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home-built smoker. Think I'm gonna try it.

While kicking around my Wife's Grandma's old farm property last weekend, I found an old metal interior refrigerator that had been tossed in an collapsing outbuilding to rot. I never really sought one out, but I always said if I came across one for free, I might give it a try. So I think I'm gonna try it. Now it's time to start searching for a hot plate or old propane burner. Does anyone who's done this before have suggestions for one over the other? Store bought ones are fine but I'd like to get into larger quantities and maybe set it up for cold smoking/curing. Plus it's just fun to dink around... good to have a project.

Also if you don't want to tackle a giant project at first checkout the Mini WSM builds folks do. Can usually do it for right around $100

Granted that's not for large quantities but heck it looks mighty fun. I think I might try it.

Thanks guys,

I've done some research and I have an idea of how I think it will work, but it's all theory. I think I'm looking forward to the experiment more than anything. the good thing is you can't really wreck it, you just gotta keep tinkering until you get it to function the way you want.

Built one ten years ago and still using it. A couple of things MAKE Sure anything made of plastic is removed. You can not use racks from refrig. Will take some pics today and post. Not a hard project.

Why cant you use metal racks from the fridge? I've seen builds online that use the racks. I could fashion my own, too, I suppose... Just curious why they shouldn't be used? Are they coated with something?

Measure inside dimensions and go to appliance recycling place or some appliance store they will be moe than happy to let you go thru their old stoves and pull a couple of oven racks. Thats what I did and had to cut off the hook parts to fit. The refrige racks are chrome coated or coated with something you do not want in your smoker

You definitely don't want to use anything galvanized. If you check out my smokehouse build post, I used the racks from a metal storage shelf. They are chrome, and my understanding after looking into it is that chrome is good to go. You may want to verify that for your own safety, though.