• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

strikemaster auger

opsirc

Question

i recently purchased a lazer XL300 (two days ago) auger. I have not been able to kepp it running as it constantly fouls out the plug. the fuel is mixed per instructions; 24:1 using new gas and oil. has anyone else had this problem with theirs.

opsirc

7 answers to this question

Once you foul a plug it will never be the same. Get new plugs. Are you sure your taking the choke all the way off?
Are you sure if fouling the plug?
Is it fouling while idleing or while your cutting?

Your High Low speed could be out of adjustment. It could also be your fuel level adjustment which is inside the carb.
I can tear these apart in my sleep but considering its brand new I would return it or get it serviced for free of coarse. You never know it could be a symptom from a potently bigger problem. It should run right out of the box

Heres an earlier discussion
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001357.html

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-24-2003).]

How long are you letting the auger run with the choke in the full position? If it fires take the choke all the way off. If it stays running let it warm up with choke all the way off until she starts to purr. Also on the first hole don’t cram on the throttle to show off ease into the first hole and then give her the berries. Try this on a new plug and good luck.
Drill’em Deep; C&R~~~~>’)))))><

thanks guys,

tried a different plug and it seems to be working better. think maybe the first plug was bad. took one out of a grass cutter that was year old.

goes to show new does not mean it will work.

I hope the plug out of your trimmer was the same as the plug in your new auger ...

Some plugs can seem the same size or fit in the same threaded hole but the plug will fire hotter and that isn't good for the cylinder.

opsirc:

If you took a plug from a power grass trimmer, that might explain the fouling. While both the trimmer and auger have one-cylinder motors, the trimmer would be much smaller, with a smaller cylinder, and a plug to fire that cylinder would probably not spark as hot as the one designed for the bigger Tecumseh 3 hp. A plug that fires cooler may not be able to burn off enough oil in the gas/oil mix.

opsirc:

Good deal that you're switching to a motor that hopefully works better.

By the way, all the big three have the same motors. Strikemaster, Jiffy, Eskimo. So a 3 hp that runs like dump on any one of them is Tecumseh's fault, not the auger maker. UNLESS the auger manufacturers, who use their own gas tanks and throttle assemblies and such, have factory-tuned the motors wrong.

Of course, if you take back the Strikemaster to get a different brand in the hopes that it will run better, you'll be encountering the same Tecumseh motor.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-25-2003).]

solved the auger problem, took it back going to buy something else. even tried a new plug, and the thing would not work. strikemaster needs to get a different motor if they are going to have a three hp on their augers. the new idea tecumseh came up with stinks.