• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FirstTime in 35 years

Is a pull string robo decoy legal for opener? IMO it wouldnt be considered motorized would it?

Seen a pretty easy DIY video on Youtube and thought it might be fun to try, if nothing else have it for field hunting

I haven't read the regs thoroughly about motorized dekes cuz I don't have any but I'd say logic is on your side with the pull string decoy. wink

Two schools of thought on shooting the roost:

Public: if there's a lot of pressure, take what you can when you can.

Private like Mabr's situation: manage your spots and they'll last longer. Don't shoot the roost is the golden rule and makes sense.

Shooting the roost is like hunting IN a hot deer bedding area. It might be great a time or two but it won't last long.

I did notice last year the mallards, in general, were leery all year. It wasn't just our spread but everyone in the area was having trouble getting mallards to commit. I may attempt to pull the spinner this year if I notice the same thing.

They have always worked great for us and are a must-have if you're on public land competing with others. I hunt over water 99.99% of the time about 30 days a year.

I hunt public land 95 percent of the time and I stopped using a spinner 5 years ago over water. Yea the spinner works great to get ducks too look at you from a long ways away, but they flare at 50 yards. It's from the spinner. If ducks aren't committing the spinner is the first thing too go.

Mabr- anything pull string is ok. You're perfectly fine. If you have spots full of birds just forget about the spinner, set up where the birds want to be, and use a jerk rig.

I haven't read the regs thoroughly about motorized dekes cuz I don't have any but I'd say logic is on your side with the pull string decoy. wink

Two schools of thought on shooting the roost:

Public: if there's a lot of pressure, take what you can when you can.

Private like Mabr's situation: manage your spots and they'll last longer. Don't shoot the roost is the golden rule and makes sense.

Shooting the roost is like hunting IN a hot deer bedding area. It might be great a time or two but it won't last long.

If you hunt a roost properly it can last the whole season. The key is to pattern the birds, wait until they are gone, and shoot the stragglers coming back in. You need to leave before the mass of birds come back and you will be fine. Hunting evenings is the best for roosts, since most birds won't come back until after shooting time.

I haven't hunted a roost in 4 years because I have allot of loaf spots that I prefer. It's best to leave a roost alone, but if you must hunt it, you have to do it properly or you screw everyone over in the immediate area.

Might be a stupid questions but what about limits. I know 6 ducks, no more than 4 mallards, 2 hen rule , 3 woody's etc. But what about geese. Do goose go towards the 6 limit or is it 6 ducks + 3 geese?

Man am i excited about this season.

Your goose possession limit is separate from ducks, regulations can be hard to interpret sometimes, they make them worded quite funny. Mabr, I hope you have a successful and fun season! Keep us updated on how it goes!

Happy Hunting

Kettle