• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping ION battery warm

JSK76

I bought a Clam 12v seat heater (just use the pad) today to keep my ion battery nice and toasty while traveling by sled or atv. I put it in the cooler bag for one hour and took at temp reading with my temp gun and it read 128*. Now if you figgure it's 68* in my house it warmed it 60*, so on a -20* day your looking at 40*, the temp ION says to try to keep the battery core.

Some might think this could be dangerous but I'm going to run it off a fuse so it will blow if it tries to pull too many amps. I'm not worried about it over heating because it's not able to reach dangerous temps even in my 68* house and definetly not out on the lake. full-26462-49218-image.jpg

For the testing I used 3 amps AC to DC power supply because the flasher battery I was going to use was dead. But I just went and checked the amps with using a fully charged 120 amp hour battery and it only pulls .74 amps so at least I wasn't cutting power to it. I will be running it off the atv or sled battery and unplugging it when I get to where I fish because it will run your battery down even at .74 amps if you let it sit long enough. If I'm stopped then that means the battery is in the heated house with me until I move again. Now I'm going to have to find a 3/4 amp fuse.

JSK, you must use an ATV all winter to get to your house? I've taken my auger out by 4 wheeler about a mile on cold days without a problem. Even wrapping a small towel or something would work, but I never have. After good ice I'm a truck guy and it's always in the box of the truck or a 5 gal pail of stuff going to the house without problems. Just an opinion but this whole warm battery thing is blown out of proportion. Just don't leave it sitting out on the ice all day. If you're worried put it in a jacket pocket for the ride. I think most of us on here over-think things way too far, but that is half the fun of it.

That's a good idea too. I think your going to want a good cooler if going that route. The cooler I have in the pic was warm to the touch, which is fine for me because I'm constantly supplying heat. A nice and small 5 day cooler would be nice but they probably don't make a small one.

Use a small soft side lunch cooler and a hand warmer. They don't need to be 60+ deg, they just need to not be -30. We used the cooler and warmer a couple of times last year when it was -33 and we drove snowmobile for about 12 miles before we fished and it worked just fine to drill holes for 5 guys.