• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Hits Keep Coming

Sandmannd

By: Aj Mansour | KFAN.com

@AjKFAN

Minneapolis, MN - Already in the midst of serving a 3-game suspension for a DUI from last year, Jerome Simpson is apparently in more legal trouble once again.

According to Hennepin County court records, Simpson was pulled over for a traffic stop at which he was not arrested but was cited for marijuana possession, open bottle and violating terms of a limited drivers license.

The team has yet to comment on this particular situation but understanding the the incident took place on July 7th, 2014 they likely are aware of the situation surrounding Jerome. Simpson has already been suspended two times for substance abuse related crimes, a third will likely bring forth a stronger punishment and very well could push him away from the Vikings and maybe away from the league.

Simpson has a November 3rd court date set for his most recent run in with the law.

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/onair/vikings-blog-38526/jerome-simpson-legal-trouble-12778273/#ixzz3Dh9FmcBG

Wait, how do you get cited for pot, open bottle, and license violation, and NOT get arrested?

There are only two possibilities that I can see.

1.) Pro Athletes/ Celebrities simply get treated better than "Average Folks"

2.) Someone is getting paid

It's probably a little bit of both. 2c

Did the team just find out about Simpson's incident or did they know back in July when it happened? Do they only act when stuff becomes public knowledge?

Only time anyone is forced to act on anything these days is when the subject starts "trending". When social media finds out about it and starts crying you better act fast!!

You can't say or do much these days without offending someone. You can't even have an opinion without having to apologise for it.

Although he was charged with a misdemeanor(s), aren't ALL of those charges a clear violation of his parole?

I'm no law wizard but won't those violations send him behind bars regardless...for parole violation??

probation violation but whatever... whether or not violations result in jail would be up to his specific probation officer.

Quote:
There's been much discussion about the spate of offseason arrests in the NFL, highlighted by the Aaron Hernandez murder charge, of course. And, of course, one arrest is too many. But it's probably unrealistic to think that men with more money, on average, than the general public wouldn't get into some trouble, regardless how much preaching the league does about it. The question is, is the NFL's rate of arrest much higher than the general public's?

I looked up the FBI's arrest data and used it as a means of comparison against the San Diego Union-Tribune's database of NFL player arrests. The paper lists 40 since Jan. 1 this year, but I believe it's 42.

Now, where I think there's been a bit of statistical confusion is in the interpretation of total number of NFL players. I've seen some people list 53 per team, and thus 1,696 total. That's not an accurate number of NFL players; you'd have to add eight more per team in-season, plus players on injured-reserve ... so you'd probably have to estimate about 65 per team. But wait. In the offseason, teams employ up to 90 players per team, including undrafted rookie free agents. Cleveland's Ausar Wolcott, for instance, charged with attempted murder for punching a man outside a New Jersey nightclub in June, and then cut, was an undrafted free agent. So if you use 90 per team, the NFL control group rises to 2,880, almost 1,200 more than if you'd measure it by in-season active-roster players only.

So let's use the larger number, and to be mathematically fair, let's use a one-year period: July 15, 2012 to July 14, 2013, which was Sunday. By my count, there have been 55 arrests of NFL players in that year.

Number of arrests of NFL players in the last year: 55.

Estimated number of players currently under contract in NFL: 2,880.

Percentage of players arrested in the last year: 1.9 percent.

Now for the general population. Look at the last year the FBI has complete stats for, 2010.

Number of arrests of American adults: 11,479,500.

Estimate number of American adults living in 2010: 235,205,700.

Percentage of American adults arrested in 2010: 4.9 percent.

The numbers would be skewed almost any way you did it. The pool of NFL players for an eight-month period is less than 2,880, obviously, because undrafted free agents are not signed until April and thus there wouldn't be the huge pool for the entire 12-month period -- probably only about five months. But if you cut the difference in half and used, say, an estimate of 2,200 players, you'd still be at a significantly lower percentage of arrests compared to America at-large. And you also would be more accurate to compare one control group, football players, to males aged 21 to 35 in the larger society.

My point is, we know the arrests are an ugly part of football the league and the Players Association need to constantly work to reduce. But it's not so easy to simply say, "Too many players are getting arrested." Compared to what, exactly?