• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cement steps repair Help!

leech~~

Working on patching up the back steps and was wondering what the best patch material would be? You can see I have some deep spots to form and fill and some sides to skim. Is there something with out big rock that will work for both deep and shallow areas or do I need to get two types? frown

full-27051-49197-img_1398.jpg

full-27051-49198-img_1399.jpg

full-27051-49199-img_1400.jpg

Not a concrete guy, but been in construction for 40 some odd years. I don't think there is anything you can add to these steps that will hold. Just too much seasonal movement to expect it to last. $.02

I agree, but don't tell my wife until Hunting's over! wink

Mine were worse than that last fall Leech. I just went to Menards and bought a bag of concrete patch. It held pretty good over the winter. I had to do more patches this summer as other parts are beginning to crack and crumble but I haven't saved up enough for a new set of stairs! Just make sure you do the patch after a good dry spell so that there is no water trapped inside

over $2000 you mean? cause I would hope to replace it would cost more than $200 otherwise I would be skeptical!! 2 bills to me is 200 since I have never seen a $1000 bill even if it does exist

Yep you are right oz over $2000! frown

Well I know the long term prognoses is not good but I throw $20 bucks worth of cement on them and will give them a coat of stain in a week and we will see if we can make it another year on them. I'm sure the cracks on the sides will come back this winter? frown

I'll have to check in to Precast Del, not sure how they would look?

full-27051-49245-img_1402.jpg

I looked for examples. Here is one from "century group" concrete precast steps.

full-1100-49246-steps.jpg

full-1100-49247-steps2.jpg

I don't know if anyone around even sells these but I see similar things now and then.

Thanks Del, I'll look into them maybe next spring after I see how these weathered the winter.

I don't even know if that company's products are available around here, but I have seen enough of that type of thing that somebody must sell something like that.

add: I googled "precast stairs minnesota" and got several hits, including in Braham, Inver Grove Heights, and Stewartville among others.

Good Luck with your repairs.

Why not rip them out and add wood steps? They are cheaper and my opinion, look much better.

This is what we did.

For about $500 you could have very nice steps stained whatever color you wanted.

For a little more use the maintenance free decking.

They look good, it's something I do to rental properties. I will extreme pressure wash to clean junk and work off any loose chunks then take a sanding block quick to it to abrade it then mud, paint.

I'll revisit it the next year or so. When it builds to much I'll sand blast quick to remove build up of paint. It's cheap and looks great. Just maintenance.