• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird Customer Service?

mr_jman

Wanted to know if anyone has dealt with their customer service and how is it?

Also if anyone has had to send something in for repair or replace and what the turn-around time is?

My 899 SI unit wont power on and I'm stuck using my way outdated Eagle 320. frown

I've made more than 1 return to HBird, and will say i've been happy with them.

First problem with my bird i forced them to send me a new unit, once i got the new unti, then i returned mine for repair.

They wouldn't let me do that twice frown So, the second time i was without a bird for about a week.

My first issue was mapping didn't work (Software load issue right out of the box) - did the exchange. smile

Second issue - daughter dropped it on the pavement frown repaired for free smile

Wanted to know if anyone has dealt with their customer service and how is it?

Also if anyone has had to send something in for repair or replace and what the turn-around time is?

My 899 SI unit wont power on and I'm stuck using my way outdated Eagle 320. frown

What gauge wires are you using to run the unit to your battery, and how are they spliced?

I ask, because I ran into this issue, and when I began exploring it online, I learned that people using undersized wires to extend the factory wires is a rampant problem that manifests in all kinds of trouble - most specifically, a unit that suddenly appears to "die" after having worked for a period of time. People remove old electronics that had less voltage requirements, and assume they can just swap the new head unit in using the old wires, which often are inadequate.

If you are using anything less than 14 gauge wire, and/or you are using butt connectors, try using 14 or 12 gauge, and solder all connections. Make sure there is a 3 amp blade fuse on the pos wire at the battery terminal.

My problem arose because I assumed that the 20 gauge power wires to my bow that used to power my old HB565 would be adequate. It worked for a while, with an occasional "low voltage" alert, or a spontaneous power-down of the 899 when I would start the big motor. Then one day it just died.

I checked the voltage at the two-pin connector that goes into the back of the unit. It read 12.66. I assumed that meant I had good juice to the unit, so I began a customer service inquiry. They encouraged me to take the head unit to Cabela's and plug it in there, just to rule out a voltage problem. It powered right up. That;s when I started doing my research.

Unless your unit is truly dead, you're suffering a voltage loss due to resistance that brings the power to the unit too low the moment you try to power it up. The amperage requirements of your new electronics are drawing too much voltage through too-skinny wire and/or weak connections.

I replaced all my wiring from bow-unit to stern with 14 gauge copper strand, and soldered the connections. The unit works again.

I run the Humminbird near the back and I have a tiller model so I didn't have to make any wire extensions. All I did was crimp on two wire connectors to slide over the battery terminals, and added the 3 amp inline fuse which uses a heavier gauge wire then what is provided. I suppose it is possible that one of those connections could have shook loose or caused some sort of lack of power. My initial thought when it happened was that my battery was too low but I had about 75% on it and could still run my power tilt/trim so something else had to be wrong. I spend 2 nights messing with it and trying to connect it up several different ways and to several different batteries and I always got the same result. I also changed the 3 amp fuse with no luck.

I sent it in today after talking to them. Sounds like a 5 day turn-around plus shipping time both ways. I am hopeful that i'll have it back in 10 days or so. We'll see!

New 998DI/SI and the GPS wouldn't work. Several hours on the phone talking to several service reps that didn't have a clue. One had me trying to make repairs while in the demo mode. Even I knew that wasn't going to work. $45 for shipping costs and a couple of weeks later it turns out that it was two different faulty GPS antennas. I will say that the turn around time was fast once they figured it out but a owner shouldn't have to pay shipping expenses due to bad parts on a brand new machine.

I called in this morning expecting a long wait. She picked up on the first ring, and handled my problem right away, and also looked into the back order waiting time for my new onix 10.. Anxiously awaiting it's arrival, but don't have to look for the UPS guy for a few more days.:)